Comcast’s Technology & Product organization works at the intersection of media and technology. Our innovative teams are continually developing and delivering products that transform the customer experience. From creating apps like TVGo to new features such as the Talking Guide on the X1 platform, we work every day to make a positive impact through innovation in the pursuit of building amazing products that are enjoyable, easy to use and accessible across all platforms. The team also develops and supports our evolving network architecture, including next-generation consumer systems and technologies, infrastructure and engineering, network integration and management tools, and technical standards.
Are you passionate about digital media, entertainment, and software services? Do you like big challenges and working within a highly motivated team environment?
As the leader of the VPA (Video Platform Analytics) team in the VIDEO organization, you will be responsible for guiding the development of software, tooling and practices which allow Platform teams to quickly and effectively triage performance and delivery issues. You will be a key participant in shaping operational processes which guide our next generation, cloud-based, video delivery pipeline providing live streams, full linear lineups, on-demand video and cloud DVR services.
Who does the Director of Engineering work with?
The person in this position will lead a highly skilled engineering team using a mix of open source, internally developed and commercial software to find issues quickly across a wide variety of technologies and platforms. The director will work with other supervisors, managers, project managers, and platform owners to ensure all applications meet specifications and requirements.
What are some interesting problems you’ll be working on?
The director will be responsible for providing strategic leadership and executive oversight to all aspects to a team chartered with qualifying, organizing and analyzing performance data across multiple delivery platforms. This will include the development and implementation of strategies and approaches to allow for real-time visibility and action-ability of complex, large scale metrics collection and organization. Ensure all applications meet project specifications and requirements. Provides leadership and direction for diverse and complex functions. Contributes to the development of the organization’s business strategy. Interprets business strategy and develops organizational objectives to align with this strategy.
Where can you make an impact?
You’ll be working with the best and brightest minds in Comcast to while we roll out the IP video delivery infrastructure that will power the next generation of television. Success in this role is characterized by a higher speed to market, with fewer customer-facing defects and outages while delivering video at Comcast scale.
Skills & Requirements
About Comcast VADER (VIDEO Acquisition Deployment Engineering & Research)
The VADER Organizationis a department within Comcast’s Technology and Product Division which supports a mix of Video related activities including signal Acquisition, Deployment, Site Reliability Engineering and Content Management. We support both legacy QAM Delivery and IP video infrastructure that’s been built to deliver a broad mix of on-demand video, live TV streams and an assortment of other digital media to an array of connected devices in the home.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer
Desired Skills and Experience
- Creates and drives strategies to bring greater focus and attention on data collection, management and analytics which advance the Company’s overall vision and business goals.
- Provide consultation and direction to peer organizations to better align platform development and support processes with an eye towards improving Service Delivery and Reliability
- Leads a Development and Engineering team in the development of new software and web applications, and leads the continued support for existing applications and applications in development. Oversees implementation initiatives, software updates, and the roll-out of new software releases.
- Enhance and refine existing dashboards and data presentation initiatives to improve on
- Prepares and manages budget(s) and financial targets.
- Be a high-profile participant in cross-functional initiatives and collaborative opportunities with partners, stakeholders and peer teams. Understand, clarlify and refine requirements in order to represent stakeholder interests.
- Regular, consistent and punctual attendance. Must be able to work nights and weekends, variable schedule(s) as necessary.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- BS in Computer Science and 15+ years equivalent experience; MS in Computer Science highly preferred.7+ years of proven experience in managing medium sized teams with high performers.
- Strong leadership abilities with a track record of delivering exceptional results and building a world-class team, as well as excellent cross-functional communication abilities.
- Success in developing and deploying software for a high-volume, highly scalable and fault-tolerant environment supporting millions of users.
- Exposure to cloud infrastructure and technologies
- Experience with high throughput data analytics including query patterns, batch vs realtime processing, ingest transformations and enrichment, machine learning approaches
- Experience with large scale data collection and management software including but not limited to Hadoop, Apache Kafka, Storm, Flume
- Experience developing software for Networking, Web services, HTTP, and TCP/IP
- Experience developing multi-threaded and high performance software
- Experience with FFMPEG, HLS, HDS, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, and H.264 compression a plus
- Understanding of RESTful design principals
- Good communicator; able to analyze and clearly articulate complex issues and technologies understandably and engagingly
- Great design and problem solving skills, with a strong bias for architecting at scale
- Strong troubleshooting and problem solving skills, adaptable, proactive and willing to take ownership
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment