Working at the world’s fourth largest retailer mixes the best of many worlds: cutting-edge technologies meet real business needs meets real customers who spend billions of dollars across our stores in North America.
What is it like to work at The Home Depot QuoteCenter?We were a startup once upon a time and much of our startup culture still exists: the agility of a small operation, the impact that comes with being a leader in our industry. Our developers use the latest open source technologies to build new products that facilitate 9-figure project sales at The Home Depot. We invest proactively in our people. We sponsor developer events, including .Net Fringe, NodePDX and PADNUG, and our developers headline workshops to teach Portland-area web developers how we use cutting-edge technology to solve real world problems. The mission of the QuoteCenter product team is to radically reimagine the shopping experience at Home Depot utilizing the latest web technologies and data tools.
What benefits does The Home Depot QuoteCenter provide?QuoteCenter employees are able to strike a great work/life balance. We provide flexible hours and generous paid vacation. We compensation very competitively and may provide a sign-on bonus and relocation for candidates moving to the Portland, Oregon area (within the US only). We also offer a game room, gym membership, bi-weekly catered lunches, team events, tuition assistance and full medical and dental coverage, paid vacation, 401k (matching after one year). Visit http://www.quotecenter.com to learn more about us.
What problem will you be solving in this role?
Define and implement application performance metrics to anticipate & avert application reliability incidents and facilitate improvements.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Manage reliability risks through metrics
- Define SLAs and audit performance
- Monitor systems and applications for waste
- Automate tasks that are repetitive or prone to human error
- Support CI/CD process maturity including prominent testing strategy
- Define and manage incident response
- Facilitate post-incident reviews
- Strong work ethic and sense of ownership
- Detailed understanding of systems, applications, and infrastructure
- Insatiable curiosity and desire to solve difficult problems
- Customer-service mindset
- Effective troubleshooting skills
- Cloud automation experience
- History with distributed, high-traffic applications
- No platform zealots allowed
- Operating systems (Windows/Linux)
- Systems scripting (Powershell, Bash)
- Cloud Platforms/Providers (Google Cloud, Rackspace)
- Infrastructure deployment (Atlas, Terraform, Packer, Vault)
- Monitoring solutions (New Relic, Elastic Beats)
- Open to other things. This is neither exhaustive, nor exclusive of the technologies we use.
- Exhibit influence derived from past leadership experience
- Demonstrate work ethic that motivates and encourages others on their team
- Mentor less-experienced members of their team
- Prepare to become a lead if the opportunity presents itself
- Self-direct: able to lead a pair
- Bring depth - be very skilled in certain parts of the technology stack
- Bring breadth - not isolated to a single segment of the technology stack