Hiring in London, UK and San Francisco, CA USA
Meraki’s customer base has grown by a factor of 2-3 every year since we started, leading to a current request rate of over 200 million page views per day. The Backend Infrastructure Team is comprised of Site Reliability Engineers that are responsible for everything from our server hardware and operating systems to tools for code deployment and service monitoring. We develop and run software that gives us insight into application health and performance and allows us to respond when issues arise. In this role you will be part of a team that makes crucial decisions about how to manage and scale complex, high-performance distributed systems. Engineers on the Backend Infrastructure Team have a unique perspective on our backend systems and are constantly developing innovative ways to improve the way we manage the underlying infrastructure.
Example projects of a Meraki Site Reliability Engineer:
Desired Skills and Experience
- Improving service graphing and monitoring to enhance automated anomaly detection.
- Scaling our continuous deployment system to accommodate a rapidly growing team and increasing feature velocity without compromising stability.
- Troubleshooting, performing root cause analysis, and resolving production issues from the network and application layers all the way down to the system level. This might include anything from digging into source code (our own or from open source projects) to looking at database query optimization.
- Advising other development teams building new products so that they’re scalable, maintainable, and performing well.
- Thrive in a collaborative environment.
- Have 3+ years experience supporting an externally-facing production environment
- Have experience with Linux (we run Debian).
- Have been on a pager rotation before.
- Have solid coding skills.
- High traffic, scalable web applications
- Languages: Ruby, Scala, Python
- Frameworks: Ruby on Rails
- Databases: Postgresql
- Logging and Monitoring: Graphite, Grafana, Logstash, elasticsearch, statsd, collectd, flapjack
- Configuration Management: Ansible
- Other: nginx