About the Role
The Head of DevOps owns the ongoing reliability and support of all services and systems comprising the New Classrooms technology platform. This includes everything from maintenance work across multiple existing code bases to tools engineering to infrastructure to on-call rotations. The first order of business will be hiring DevOps Engineers. This role reports to the Vice President of Technology.
Our technical stack currently includes components that handle data processing, algorithmic decisions, and presentation of information to school users. We run all of our products out of virtual machines and cloud services. Our data is primarily stored in Microsoft SQL Server, and gets published as JSON documents to Azure Blob Storage or MongoDB for speed of access. We have .NET, Node.js, and Python code that each serve particular purposes. We utilize Jenkins in a unique way to allow our Operations team to manage the daily business processes and workflow operation and track success/failure of such processes.
What You Would Do
Commensurate with experience.
Desired Skills and Experience
- You thrive in start up environments - the faster moving and the more stuff to figure out as you go the better
- The people who have worked with you describe you as more of a “we” person than an “I” person– there’s no such thing as “somebody else’s problem” for you
- You bring a sense of humor to your work and rarely take yourself too seriously
- You’re super smart and humble at the same time - no task is too small or great
- Lots of things interest you - you have plenty of creative side projects and diverse hobbies
- You’d rather be working to solve challenges that will make life better for everyone rather than making more money for a large corporation
- Build and lead a team of DevOps Engineers. The first hire will need to be based at our NYC headquarters but the rest might be remote.
- Own all uptime and reliability SLAs. We aren’t a five nines operation yet but our partner schools span time zones from Pacific through Eastern, and certain types of work will need to happen outside of school hours.
- Drive the ongoing effort to bring enterprise-level reliability and maintainability to existing services and systems while contributing to the architecture of new ones.
- Establish and maintain standards and processes for all work done by the DevOps team, including everything from coding standards to on-call incident handling to documentation.
- Partner with the Director of Software Development, Director of Quality Assurance, and other technical leadership to ensure as much uniformity of standards and processes as possible across teams.
- Provide expert technical guidance.
- 8+ years of full-time hands-on software development, devops, or site reliability engineering (SRE) experience.
- 2+ years of people management experience with a demonstrated track record of strong team building and effective mentoring.
- Deep understanding of Internet concepts, protocols, and technologies.
- Full stack proficiency. We use a mix of .NET, Python, Node.js, SQL Server, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, and AngularJS but are open to candidates proficient in other stacks.
- Familiarity with IaaS and PaaS offerings such as Microsoft Azure or Amazon Web Services.
- Most importantly, a strong sense of ownership. Success is the only option.