The OpportunitySite Reliability Engineering (SRE) is a new approach to scaling up highly available systems, originally introduced by Google and embraced by many successful players running Internet scale systems, like Zalando. SRE encompasses several practices aimed at creating and operating scalable, reliable, and efficient architectures, including the definition and measurement of Service Level Indicators and Objectives, assessing and managing risk, forecasting demand and planning compute capacity, etc. If you have not heard about this before, you should definitely look into it, regardless of whether you apply to this position or not.Within Zalando Payments, you will work with many ambitious and skilled autonomous teams building and operating our microservices-based platform. We are embedded into the larger context of Zalando Tech and live up to the spirit of what we call Radical Agility - our culture that focuses on autonomy, mastery, and purpose (again, look it up!).At Zalando Payments, we are processing all financial transactions of Zalando’s fashion store and other consumer facing apps. Starting with a flawless user experience in the checkout over the processing of the payments to reconciliation in the backend, we cover the entire financial process to boost conversion and deliver a competitive advantage to our customers through smart risk steering.What we are looking for:
What you can expect from us
About Zalando PaymentsZalando Payments was founded in June 2016 and operates all payment services of Zalando, Europe’s leading online fashion platform doing business in 15 markets. Delivering first-class shopping experiences to our +15 million customers requires moving fast - with micro services, agile processes and autonomous teams - and using cutting-edge, open source technologies. We are passionate about what we do and have fun while doing it. And we are willing to experiment and make mistakes: It’s how we grow.Want to join us? Then go ahead and apply!If you need guidance or have any questions about our hiring processes, please contact our recruiter Jens Seeberger - or just drop by in our Dortmund office.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Sound knowledge of designing cloud architectures and experience with cloud platforms, preferably AWS.
- Track record of developing and operating Internet scale applications.
- Analytical thinking.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Strong sense of ownership, entrepreneurial thinking, and ability to drive SRE initiatives across teams.
- Ability to concentrate when it comes to firefighting, and ambition to make this unnecessary.
- Knowledge of the JVM ecosystem and good coding skills in at least one such language.
- Good understanding of Linux, networking, databases, etc.
- Grade in computer science.
- If you have prior experiences in fintech, this is certainly a plus, but not a requirement.
- Innovate, design, and implement solutions to maintain availability, reliability and efficiency of the services offered by Zalando Payments.
- Communicate effectively with our engineering teams in this regard.
- Keep our mission-critical systems up and running, automating all handling of failure conditions.
- Capacity planning, definition of service level indicators, and analysis of system performance.
- Periodic on-call duty.
- Plan and conduct fire drills (failure testing) with teams.
- One-month mentoring program.
- Internal tech talks, skill-building courses and technical Practice Leads who help you achieve mastery.
- Personal branding support: From preparing tech talks and blog posts to networking with industry leaders.
- Community: hack weeks, movie nights, coder dojos, +70 self-organized tech guilds and more.
- Competitive salary.
- Zalando shopping discount.
- Relocation assistance for internationals.