Principle Software Development
With Comcast in Philadelphia PA USMore jobs from Comcast
Posted on November 28, 2018
About this job
Job type: Full-time
Role: System Administrator
Company size: 10k+ people
Company type: Public
Comcast’s Technology. Product. Xperience. organization works at the intersection of media and technology. Our innovative teams are continually developing and delivering products that transform the customer experience. From creating apps like TVGo to new features such as the Talking Guide on the X1 platform, we work every day to make a positive impact through innovation in the pursuit of building amazing products that are enjoyable, easy to use and accessible across all platforms. The team also develops and supports our evolving network architecture, including next-generation consumer systems and technologies, infrastructure and engineering, network integration and management tools, and technical standards.
Comcast is beginning an unprecedented cable system migration to an all IP delivery and playout environment. As a principle engineer on the VIPER team, you will focus on engineering solutions for converged QAM/IP Video. This includes adaptive bit rate MPEG video streamer, automated video network configuration, and video encryption. You will be responsible to lead product development by working with various teams throughout the video organization, writing software, and defining end-to-end architectures and requirements.
- A minimum of ten years of experience as an active contributor during all phases of the software development lifecycle, with the ability to describe specific and detailed individual contributions in the areas of architecture/design development, testing, release, and maintenance.
- Detailed knowledge of the HTTP specification and the RESTful style, including protocol basics, standard headers, content negotiation, and common techniques for securing HTTP-based applications.
- A thorough understanding of basic data structures and a high-level understanding of their implementations.
- Experience and proficiency with common algorithms and their relative tradeoffs.
- Proficiency with object-oriented development, functional programming, data modeling and design patterns.
- Experience working in one or more data serialization formats (e.g. XML, JSON, or ASN1), and defining associated document structures and serialization routines.
- Experience designing and building systems for highly available multi-site deployment environments, a solid understanding of the network architectures that support such systems, and familiarity with techniques for tuning application performance in a distributed environment.
- A sense of proud ownership and an ongoing desire to proactively enhance products and processes.
- Strong English communications skills, with the ability to clearly, concisely, and accurately describe advanced technical concepts to diverse audiences in speech and in writing.
- A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field.
- A minimum of ten years of experience as an active contributor to a software development team.
- Experience leading a software development team or sub-team.
- Mastery of C language skills and building large scalable systems.
- Mastery of a garbage collected C-like language (e.g. Java, C#)
- Experience operating in a Linux/Unix environment, including basic system configuration and scripting.
- Experience building applications that leverage an RDBMS (e.g. Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL).
- Experience authoring and refining technical specifications.
- Experience mentoring junior developers and participating in the hiring process.
- A Master's degree in Computer Science or a related field.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer