Sr Engineer Software
With T-Mobile USA in Bellevue WA USMore jobs from T-Mobile USA
Posted on January 18, 2019
About this job
Job type: Full-time
Role: System Administrator
Company size: 10k+ people
Company type: Public
sysadmin, sql, web-services
Sr Engineer Software
The Technology Software Engineer will work with a team of other software developers and network and systems engineers to design, implement, and deploy software which meet customer's requirements, scales easily, removes the limitations of traditional networking solutions, and supports deployment in highly available environments The engineer will participate in architecture and design of various software components focused on creating applications that leverage technologies such as virtualization, micro services, SDN, NFV, and Big Data platforms and technologies. Works on technical assignments that are moderately difficult, requiring judgment in resolving issues or in making recommendations. Works on assignments requiring considerable judgment and initiative. Understands implications of work and makes recommendations for solutions. Normally receives little instruction on daily work, general instructions on newly introduced assignments.
Enterprise Core Competencies
Requires competency in customer focus, change & innovation, strategic thinking, relationship building & influencing, talent management, results focus and inspirational leadership.
Essential Functions- Technical Analysis Expertise: Gather and analyze data types and formats from various sources (raw files, Databases, APIs etc.). Apply current technology benefits in data collection and data manipulation to enhance speed and quality. Expected to lead and deliver complex network and service performance analysis, design strategies and solutions to meet business needs. Break down the business requirements into technical building blocks, interactions, dependencies, and tools to complete design work. Evaluate complex technical issues in terms of business impact and value. Realize analyses and business rules in codes and validate result output.
- Technical Development Expertise: Drives automation and data collection projects by active contribution to the application of development techniques; leading development, conducting tests and ensuring redundancy and reliability into productions solutions. Expected to supervise associate and base level engineers as needed. Develops scripts and processes to validate and optimize network performance. Creates web based front ends for data display (using PowerBI or Tableau or custom solution), and process tooling along with documentation of all scripted solutions. Able to prepare executive summaries of activities and clearly communicate areas of opportunity.
- Innovation: Contributes to designs to implement new ideas which improve an existing and new system/process/service. Understands and can apply new industry perspectives to our existing business model. Review existing architecture, design strategies, standards, and processes to highlight more efficient ways to complete existing workload more effectively through industry perspectives. Seeks opportunities to improve designs, processes, or product by reducing cost, improving efficiency, or quality. Proactively contributes during brainstorming sessions. Drives investigations, leading to new technology concepts that may solve business problems.
- Technical Writing: Contributes to and maintains knowledge of existing technology documents. Able to document systems architecture, design strategies, standards, business requirements and technical interpretation. Develops and provides technical data for incorporation into internal presentations that may translate technical issues into business impact.
- Technical Leadership: Collaborates with technical teams and utilizes system expertise to deliver technical solutions. Continuously learns and teaches others existing and new technologies. Contributes to the development of others through mentoring, workshops and learning sessions. Drives lab and field trial activities in support of Proof of Concept.
- Technology Strategy: Contributes to new and existing technology options that support business goals. Evaluates technologies and proposes technology position for the company within own VP organization.
Minimum Required- 5+ Years technical / software engineering experience including, advanced experience in data analysis
- Professional experience designing and developing solutions with at least one of the SQL database backends (MS SQL, PostgreSQL, MySQL)
- Professional experience with Python / Perl / bash / or PowerShell
- Professional experience in at least one of the Bigdata applications (Hadoop, Hive, Impala, Spark, Splunk)
- Understanding of Wireless network, IP networking topology, protocols, data flows, and how 5G, LTE, firewalls, load balancers, DNS systems operate.
- Solutioning: Identify and analyze business requirements from stakeholders, convert to technical requirements, evaluate over benefit and cost, define and update solution approach.
- Drive: Self-motivated and able to work well under pressure.
- Teamwork: Self-motivated and able to work well under pressure with minimal supervision including the ability to simultaneously support multiple strategically significant tasks under fixed/accelerated deadlines.
- Develop, maintain and strengthen partnerships that can provide information, assistance, and support.
- Communication: The ability to ensure that information is passed on to others who should be kept informed. Express self clearly in conversations and interactions with others. Clear business and technical writing skills.
- Customer Focus: The ability to demonstrate concern and meet external and/or internal customers' needs
- Analytical: The ability to tackle a problem by using a logical, systematic, sequential approach.
- Technical Expertise: The ability to demonstrate depth of knowledge and skill in a technical area.
- Forward Thinking: The ability to anticipate the implications and consequences of situations and take appropriate action to be prepared for possible contingencies.
- Influencing Others: The ability to gain others' support for ideas, proposals, projects, and solutions.
Desired- Cloud: Professional experience in at least one of the public cloud services (AWS, Azure, Google)
- Data Wrangling: Professional experience working with structure / unstructured data, data cleansing and data transformation.
- Experience in development of large scale automation through scripting strongly desired
- Professional experience designing and developing applications on Unix operating systems (RedHat) strongly desired
- Experience working with reporting tools such as Power BI, Tableau or ELK Stack
- Experience in configuration management and software management
- Experience with a software collaboration tool such as JIRA, Git or Visual Studio
- Experience collecting and driving analysis on large data sets strongly desired
- Experience in at least one configuration management system: Chef, Ansible, Puppet or terraform.
Minimum Required- Bachelors Degree. Computer Science or Engineering
Must be able to communicate with others effectively through written communication methods. Must be able to communicate (talking, hearing, etc.) with others effectively through oral communication methods. This position requires working with a computer (k
T-Mobile US, Inc. offers a full range of comprehensive benefits, including medical, dental, vision, as well as matching 401(k), generous paid time off programs, phone service discounts, tuition reimbursement, free parking - not to mention a fun and business casual work environment.
As America's Un-carrier, T-Mobile USA, Inc. (NASDAQ: TMUS) is redefining the way consumers and businesses buy wireless services through leading product and service innovation. The company's advanced nationwide 4G and 4G LTE network delivers outstanding wireless experiences for customers who are unwilling to compromise on quality and value. Based in Bellevue, Washington, T-Mobile USA. Inc. provides services through its subsidiaries and operates its flagship brands, T-Mobile and Metro by T-Mobile. For more information, please visit http://www.t-mobile.com
We Take Equal Opportunity Seriously - By Choice. T-Mobile USA, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All decisions concerning the employment relationship will be made without regard to age, race, ethnicity, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, marital status, citizenship status, veteran status, the presence of any physical or mental disability, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Discrimination or harassment based upon any of these factors is wholly inconsistent with our Company values and will not be tolerated. Furthermore, such discrimination or harassment may violate federal, state, or local law.