Engineer, Software Dev & Engineering
With Comcast in Washington DC USMore jobs from Comcast
Posted on January 30, 2019
About this job
Job type: Full-time
Role: Backend Developer
Company size: 10k+ people
Company type: Public
amazon-web-services, design, continuous-integration
Comcast brings together the best in media and technology. We drive innovation to create the world's best entertainment and online experiences. As a Fortune 50 leader, we set the pace in a variety of innovative and fascinating businesses and create career opportunities across a wide range of locations and disciplines. We are at the forefront of change and move at an amazing pace, thanks to our remarkable people, who bring cutting-edge products and services to life for millions of customers every day. If you share in our passion for teamwork, our vision to revolutionize industries and our goal to lead the future in media and technology, we want you to fast-forward your career at Comcast.
Voice Control Platform
The Voice Control Platform (VREX) is part of Comcast Cable's Technology & Product (T&P) organization and serves the larger company with advanced NLP technologies for searching and discovering any type of content in the entertainment catalog available.
The Voice control Platform needs an engineer that is familiar with scalability principles and micro-services. We will be handling voice requests of millions of customers and have created a platform that operates reliably and efficiently with the latest at-scale technologies.
You will work with other engineers and researchers with backgrounds in advanced fields such as natural language processing, information retrieval, and knowledge representation. As a key member of the team, you will help define, refine, and test state of the art algorithms, and scale the associated systems for high performance, stability, and availability.
Comcast T&P encourages career development with regular opportunities for training and programs for innovative cross-team projects such as week-long Hackathon and job rotation programs over the summer.
- Writing production-quality, tested code.
- Understanding the code base for your components in depth.
- Producing technical designs and documentation at varying levels of granularity
- Collaborating with our quality assurance and technical operations teams to provide outstanding customer service.
- Participating in code reviews and helping the team to be effective and agile.
- Staying educated on technical developments and tools necessary for the design and maintenance of complex, distributed platforms.
- BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical field.
- 2+ years of relevant work experience, including extensive programming experience and strong object-oriented skills including Java server-side development.
- In-depth knowledge of WebSockets and experience in writing code for WS and WSS and HTTP protocols.
- Experience in writing code using multithreading.
- Experience in Springboot is a plus.
- Experience in building Caching systems is a plus.
- Experience with high-scale, distributed web service development (hands-on experience with RESTful web services).
- Experience as part of a team doing state-of-the art, object-oriented software development including continuous integration, test-driven-development, automated unit and integration testing.
- Knowledge of major open frameworks and platforms including Spring and Docker.
- Experience with versioning tools. GIT a plus.
- Experience with Jenkins for continuous integration
- Knowledge of Docker Swarm and/or Kubernetes. Deployment orchestration tools.
- Must demonstrate an understanding of software design patterns and the practical application of those patterns.
- Experience provisioning and managing applications in both virtual and cloud infrastructures (AWS preferred).
- Experience with AWS Lambda, Kinesis, DynamoDB.
- Experience developing service oriented architectures and an understanding of design for scalability, performance and reliability.
- Experience with Agile development methodologies and practices.
- UNIX/Linux background: facility with command-line utilities; familiarity with system administration tools and concepts.
- Familiarity with distributed systems and micro-services a plus.
- Experience with various data interchange and representation formats such as JSON, XML.
- Strong initiative: must be able to take high-level requirements, ask questions and get clarifications, decompose into deliverable software components, design and implement solution to meet functional, performance, and quality acceptance criteria.
- Excellent communication: must be a good listener, willing to ask questions, and able to clearly communicate ideas with team members and external groups.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer