Staff Enterprise Application/Infrastructure/Cloud Engineer
With GE Digital in Atlanta GA USMore jobs from GE Digital
Posted on February 09, 2019
About this job
Job type: Full-time
Role: System Administrator
amazon-web-services, cloud, azure
GE is building operations teams focused on performance and availability of Compute and Network infrastructure consumed by all business segments. These teams are composed of highly talented individuals obsessively focused with availability through operational excellence. The ideal individual is relentlessly technical, passionate for automating everything and totally committed to delivering amazing customer experiences.
In This Role, You Will
** Essential Responsibilities:**
- Design, test and deliver infrastructure to improve the availability, scalability, latency, and
efficiency of solutions
- Influence and create new designs, architectures, standards and methods for large-scale cloud applications.
- Participate in the domain technical and business discussions to help map out future technical road maps.
- Research and evaluate emerging technology, industry and market trends to assist in project development and/or operational support activities
- Establish performance baseline, capacity thresholds, correlate events, and define monitoring/alerting criteria
- Establish end to design proposals, with detailed justifications for need, helping understand priority, solution options and detailed stories that will support the solutions.
- Responsible for requirements, design through successful implementation and measurement of stories. This includes detailing stories with requirements being met (problem being solved), solution design, test steps, acceptance criteria, implementation and validation details as well as Service Level objectives and measurement metrics to help measure the success of the component being built.
- Develop automated solutions to address potential problems before they result in a service interruption
- Provide impact assessment and mitigation plan for changes going into the production environment
- Investigate root cause of severe and systemic outages, identify corrective actions and apply across the enterprise
- Available to quickly respond and resolve critical service outages impacting customers as well as proactively managing issues before they becoming impacting outages
- Develop availability measures that align with consumer experience to accurately assess the usability of crucial services
- Build capacity models to baseline transactional load compared to resource performance and leverage data to predict overall system capacity while automating load placement to avoid outages
- Build security hardened, and high performance systems, components for AWS/Azure cloud platforms.
- Identify thresholds for all critical links in the data path to quickly isolate where imbalances may result in potential outages
- Analyze failure points in services to model risk level and resolution steps if failure occurs. Assist in driving architecture enhancements into system to mitigate potential failure points
- Programmatically monitor for and remediate configuration drift of critical devices
- Develop response plans to potential failure points and evaluate effectiveness during planned tests
- Perform comprehensive operational health checks of the entire services to identify areas of concern and track activities to drive improvements at all levels of the architecture
- Support design and deployment of infrastructure solutions meeting standardization,
consolidation, TCO, security, regulatory compliance and application system qualities, for different
- Provide technical coaching and direction to more junior teammates
- High School Diploma
- A minimum of 10 years of professional experience.
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job.
- Willing to work out of an office in Atlanta, GA
- Demonstrated experience scripting or developing software and services for the cloud Ruby, Python, Go, Java, Node.js, .NET, etc.
- Obsessive about uptime, availability and reliability while being proactive about everything
- Demonstrated experience in cloud computing, including security, usage scenarios, and infrastructure basics.
- Excellent knowledge of common operating systems (Unix/Linux, Windows)
- Extensive knowledge of network protocols (TCP/IP, SNMP, FTP, syslog, TFTP, etc.)
- Experience managing version control systems such as Git
- Experience deploying and managing infrastructure on public clouds such as AWS or Azure using Cloud Formation, Terraform etc.
- Experience in designing/implementing Containerized and serverless workloads in AWS/Azure clouds.
- Experience using an automated configuration management system (Terraform, Chef, Puppet, Ansible, Salt, etc.)
- Excellent knowledge of Network Management (SNMP, MIB)
- Experience with configuring, customizing, and extending monitoring tools (Datadog, Sensu, Grafana, Splunk)
- Excellent knowledge of TCP/IP networking, and inter-networking technologies (routing/switching, proxy, firewall, load balancing etc.)
- Enthusiastic to find ways to make customers successful
- Ability to work well within small team focused on rapid delivery of results
- Passionate about continuously learning and able to quickly adapt and pivot to win in dynamic environment
- Comfortable with empowering colleagues and inspiring others to be their best
- Ability to deliver results in a rapidly changing dynamic environment
GE (NYSE:GE) drives the world forward by tackling its biggest challenges. By combining world-class engineering with software and analytics, GE helps the world work more efficiently, reliably, and safely. GE people are global, diverse and dedicated, operating with the highest integrity and passion to fulfill GE’s mission and deliver for our customers. http://www.ge.com
At GE Digital, we are creating technology and solutions to enable social, mobile, analytical and cloud capabilities for
the Industrial Internet. The Industrial Internet is an open, global network that connects people, data and machines.
It’s about making infrastructure more intelligent and advancing the industries critical to the world we live in. At GE,
we believe it’s about the future of industry—energy, healthcare, transportation, manufacturing. It’s about making the
world work better. GE is transforming itself to become the world's premier digital industrial company, executing
critical outcomes for our customers. Explore how you can drive greater asset reliability, lower operating costs, reduce
risk and accelerate operational performance with our Predix platform and software solutions.
Join our online communities to find out more!
LinkedIn Company page
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.
Locations: United States; Georgia; Atlanta
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening.
Business Segment: Digital Technology