Principal Software Developer
With Comcast in Philadelphia PA USMore jobs from Comcast
Posted on February 13, 2019
About this job
Job type: Full-time
Company size: 10k+ people
Company type: Public
go, automation, c
Comcast brings together the best in media and technology. We drive innovation to create the world's best entertainment and online experiences. As a Fortune 50 leader, we set the pace in a variety of innovative and fascinating businesses and create career opportunities across a wide range of locations and disciplines. We are at the forefront of change and move at an amazing pace, thanks to our remarkable people, who bring cutting-edge products and services to life for millions of customers every day. If you share in our passion for teamwork, our vision to revolutionize industries and our goal to lead the future in media and technology, we want you to fast-forward your career at Comcast.
As a Site Reliability Engineer working with the Core Application Platforms (CAP) team, you will able to shape the direction and practice of SRE at Comcast. You will be responsible for scaling and automation of the next generation platforms to enable Comcast to deliver cutting edge TV products. If you have a propensity for solving complex and interesting problems then Comcast is the place for you. Comcast is more than a cable company, our scope is much greater. To deliver the next generation of TV, media and entertainment across any medium will require great ideas across the technology spectrum. Large-scale system design, networking, automation, natural language processing, distributed computing, information retrieval to name a few. If you want to revolutionize the way TV is experienced and create cool technologies at the same time, then Comcast is the place for you.
- Designs and codes software applications to adhere to designs supporting internal business requirements or external customers.
- Standardizes the quality assurance procedure for software.
- Oversees testing and develops fixes.
- Has knowledge of standard concepts, practices, and procedures within the field.
- Relies on limited experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Performs a variety of tasks.
- Works under general supervision.
- A certain degree of creativity and latitude required.
- Typically reports to a project leader or manager.
- BS degree in Computer Science or related technical field involving coding (e.g., physics or mathematics), or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience with algorithms, data structures, complexity analysis and software design.
- Experience in making and guiding technical decisions to meet the requirements of the team and clients.
- Experience in one or more of the following: C, C++, Java, Scala, Python, Go, Perl or Ruby.
- Interest in designing, analyzing and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems.
- Interest in building resilient and self healing systems at large scale
- Systematic problem-solving approach, coupled with strong communication skills and a sense of ownership and drive.
- Ability to debug and optimize code and automate routine tasks.
Scope of Work:
- Engage in and improve the whole lifecycle of servicesfrom inception and design, through deployment, operation and refinement.
- Support services before they go live through activities such as system design consulting, developing software platforms and frameworks, capacity planning and launch reviews.
- Maintain services once they are live by measuring and monitoring availability, latency and overall system health.
- Scale systems sustainably through mechanisms like automation, and evolve systems by pushing for changes that improve reliability and velocity.
- Practice sustainable incident response and blameless postmortems.
- Participate in design and development of Proof-of-Concept projects or other R&D as needed.
- Participate in on-call rotations for supported projects.
- Enable automation and feature development to support running VinylDNS, Elements, and other projects as needed.
- This position is intended to build tools and processes that reduce overall OpEx expenditure for the projects supported by our team.
- Containerization and dynamic scaling of department applications
- Developing automated responses to infrastructure incidents & system outages
- Documentation & runbooks for use by other support engineers
- Bachelors Degree or Equivalent
- Computer Science, Engineering
- Generally requires 11+ years of experience
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer