Principal Architect, Technical
With T-Mobile USA in Bellevue WA USMore jobs from T-Mobile USA
Posted on March 26, 2019
About this job
Job type: Full-time
Company size: 10k+ people
Company type: Public
design, security, user-interface
The Solution Design and Architecture is part of the Frontline & Business Experience team, which is responsible for internal systems used by Care and Retail, as well as the T-Mobile for Business product family.
The Technical, Principal Architect is responsible for application design and implementation. While this position includes hands-on development work, it also focuses a majority of the time on technical leadership, which includes code reviews, coaching engineers, documenting and evolving coding standards and best practices, performing data modeling, participating in advanced troubleshooting of production and pre-production systems, and authoring frameworks and utilities to improve the efficiency of the engineering staff.
- Lead architecture and technical design to satisfy product business requirements and drive review and communications of solutions with impacted technology teams. Apply experience designing and architecting across self-service frontline and retail systems. Sometimes these are new systems, or changes to existing systems, or refactoring of legacy systems from "Enterprise Monolith" into "Nouveau Digital" (yes, Microservices are the new Black!)
- Work with broader team to define technical roadmaps for products and technologies, then translate those roadmaps into tactics and user stories for the backlogs.
- Work outside the organization to evolve the technical aptitude and overall efficiency of the greater department, and the company as a whole.
- Relentlessly raise the bar on product features and processes. Be an advocate for the customer, never settle for performance that is "good enough", never stop learning.
- Ability to create documentation needed to drive the strategy, architecture and adoption including process/system flows, sequence diagrams, swaggers, logical/reference architecture, solution architecture, capabilities model, standards, KPIs, etc.
- Hands on architect who can develop, coach developers, perform code reviews, audits and provide clear direction to Engineers on new or improved patterns
- Serve as a technical point-of-contact for teams to help define and develop optimized solutions
- Deliver technology strategy roadmaps by modeling as-is and to-be architectures using best practices in the industry
- Apply experience implementing solution security by promoting Secure Solution development based on OAuth and JWT, as well as performing technical activities including code review, vulnerability analysis, thread modeling, source code remediation, and patching
- Understand the technology stack inside and out and can provide vision, strategy, guidance that spans leadership and individual developers. Ability to go broad and holistically with in-depth knowledge of the code and technology
- Apply experience implementing automated unit and synthetic testing, service virtualization, performance and operational telemetry, and dashboarding for applications to drive the digital transformation.
- Minimum 10 years of progressive experience in software engineering/enterprise architecture/technology leadership across multiple products, systems and/or platforms.
- Practical experience designing, building and supporting production systems at scale.
- Cloud experience with at least one of the big three. This must include immutable infrastructure principles, as well as working knowledge of the challenges of building (and supporting) cloud-native applications.
- API-first development and Domain-Driven Design principles.
- Containers in some form (Docker preferred), and the accompanying pipeline automation that allows for rapid and safe deployments (CI/CT/CD).
- Proficiency in at least two programming languages.
- Working understanding of security and privacy principles, and how that relates to system design and application design. This may include elements of threat modeling, symmetric and asymmetric encryption, key management, x509 certificates, etc.
- Great sense of humor and passion for technology
- Burning desire to run hard and make a difference
- Confidence and ability to communicate and collaborate with other team members. Desired Qualifications- Modern web development is a plus -- specifically, Angular. Bonus points for mobile web development.
- Experience building large scale telemetry and data visualizations for cloud-based web & mobile devices.
- Ability to dig deep into data and provide insights and discover patterns
- NoSQL Data Stores (Elasticsearch, Cassandra, etc.)
- Agile SDLC experience
- Experience in Linux/Unix system administration
- Experience with systems design under some kind of regulatory compliance (e.g., SOX, HIPAA, CPNI)
- Telecom experience is a plus
- Bachelor's Degree required. Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field/Master's degree preferred.