Platform Engineer - Observability
With TransferWise in London - GBMore jobs from TransferWise
Posted on April 11, 2019
About this job
Compensation: £60k - 90k | Equity
Location options: Visa sponsor, Paid relocation
Job type: Full-time
Experience level: Mid-Level, Senior
Role: System Administrator
Industry: Financial Services, Financial Technology, Information Technology
Company size: 1k-5k people
Company type: VC Funded
ansible, terraform, amazon-web-services, rdbms, nosql, sysadmin
We’re looking for a Platform Engineer to join our growing team in London and Tallinn. This is a unique opportunity to bring your ideas and expertise to one of the fastest-growing tech companies in Europe, defining the vision, delivering the plan and leading the team.
At TransferWise we’ve doubled in size in the last 18 months to 1400+ people globally and we continue to grow at breakneck speed. You’ll receive a competitive package including generous stock options and private healthcare amongst other benefits.
Observability is key to building quality product, helping the business move fast and resolving issues as soon as possible. The team is responsible designing, building and running a comprehensive observability and monitoring stack for a diverse range of products and architectures. In addition, this team leads the charge on defining good observability practices company wide and making it easier to build better product. Observability is a part of the broader platform tribe and moving between platform and other product teams is encouraged.
- Broad experience of open source and commercial monitoring tools and frameworks.
- Have strong computer science fundamentals and are passionate about scale, quality, and performance.
- Growth mindset and a desire to learn, teach, and improve skills
- Experience in infrastructure automation tools (ideally Ansible and Terraform)
- Good knowledge of relational (RDBMS) and NoSQL databases
- Ownership of mission-critical shared infrastructure - run, maintain and schedule upgrades
- Be metric driven.
- Experience of working across team and across time zones
- Experience with languages such as Java, Groovy, Python, Go, Scala etc
- Knowledge of architectural concepts such as microservices, service mesh, data pipelines, lambda programming
Nice to Have
- Containerization technology and various orchestration platforms e.g. Docker, Kubernetes, Mesos etc
- Experience of implementing various monitoring frameworks (golden signal, USE, RED) and methodologies (synthetic testing, Service SLO) etc.
- Have experience of capacity planning as well as performance and load testing
- On the back end, you will be working on a distributed architecture which is based on Java microservices, using Netflix
- OSS tools and other distributed technologies like Kafka, Zookeeper, Spring Cloud. While on the front end we are writing microapps using React and AngularJS. Experience of some or all of these desirable.