Smart, driven and want to make a difference in the world?
With Government Digital Service (GDS) in London - GBMore jobs from Government Digital Service (GDS)
Posted on April 14, 2019
About this job
Compensation: £50k - 70k
Job type: Full-time
Experience level: Mid-Level, Senior
Role: System Administrator
Industry: Agile Software Development, Cybersecurity, DevOps
Company size: 501-1k people
Company type: Public
python, amazon-web-services, terraform, java, security, sysadmin
This is an exciting opportunity to work across a wide platform of modern technologies including PaaS,containerisation and serverless compute (Lambda) integrating and developing API’s, automation bots (vulnerability, intrusion, compliance, secrets) and other security tools for the team and wider GDS tech-community.
We work in small multidisciplinary agile teams and utilise a modern, forward-thinking approach to security. Cybersecurity delivers tangible security solutions and services for platforms as diverse as Amazon Web Services and Kubernetes (k8s) through to on-prem infrastructure and the Public Sector Network (PSN).
As a Security Engineer at Government Digital Service, here's what you can do:
- design computer security architecture and develop detailed cyber security designs
- engineering, implementing and monitoring security measures for the protection of computer systems, networks, and information
- share knowledge of tools and techniques with your wider team
- act as a digital ambassador, supporting recruitment, identifying good practices for GDS to adopt and sharing experiences, eg through blog posts, tech talks at conferences etc.
- participate in our in-house (2nd line) support, and the out-of-hours support rota - you’ll be paid an allowance, and a further hourly payment, for any duties you perform when on call
- learn something new every day
A Senior Security Engineer will also:
- provide technical leadership within the team, advising and working with Security Engineers and product teams to identify the best solutions
You should apply if:
- the work we are doing sounds exciting
- you have a good understanding of Python/Ruby (or another modern web language) ideally within a software development team and a willingness to learn new technologies and languages
- you're experienced in building, managing and deploying modern technical systems in Amazon Web Services with orchestration tools such as Terraform
- you want to be involved in helping to build/keep secure public services that you (and every UK Citizen) use frequently.