With NorthStar Solutions Group LLC in Philadelphia PA USMore jobs from NorthStar Solutions Group LLC
Posted on April 16, 2019
About this job
Job type: Full-time
Role: System Administrator
windows, sql-server, sysadmin
Citrix XenApp 7 upgrade project
Duration: 3 months
Location: Philadelphia, PA (Must be local)
Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2008 RD hosts
Publishes internal applications
No access from the Internet
Thin clients running Windows 7 embedded OS
- PCs running Windows 7 and Windows 10
Applications limited to a small selection of legacy applications.
- XenApp 6.5
- Virtual servers in VMware ESXi cluster
- Windows Server 2008R2 RD hosts
- Publishes internal and external applications
- Internet access from secure gateway server using 2-factor authentication
- Client PCs running Windows 7 and Windows 10
- Applications include Microsoft Office, web-based applications, and line-of-business applications.
Citrix is heavily used throughout the organization for production work.
Our goal is to create a new Citrix farm running XenApp 7 running on a mix of Windows Server 2016 and Windows Server 2012R2 hosts. Windows Server 2016 will be used for Citrix management and infrastructure servers. Windows Server 2012R2 hosts will be used for RD servers.
All of our existing applications published on both of our existing server farms need to be migrated to this new farm.
This farm will be accessed by clients running Wyse ThinOS and PCs running Windows 7 and Windows 10.
A test Citrix farm will be created running XenApp 7. We will use the most recent long-term servicing version. All applications will be created and tested in this test farm. This test farm will include both internal and external access. All client types will be tested against it. The test farm will use Windows Server 2016 for all management and infrastructure servers. It will use Windows Server 2012R2 for all RD servers.
Once everything has been tested in the test farm, an identical production farm will be created. The production farm will have enough RD servers to meet our capacity needs. Users will be notified before any production workloads are moved to the new farm. Once this farm is ready we will change DNS records to point to it.
Once the new farm is in production we will decommission the old farms.
- Create test XenApp 7 farm.
- Integrate test XenApp 7 farm with SecurEnvoy for MFA.
- Create StoreFront for remote access and internal access to test XenApp 7 farm.
- Create all applications that are in the 4.5 and 6.5 farms in the test XenApp 7 farm.
- Create production XenApp 7 farm.
- Integrate production XenApp 7 farm with SecurEnvoy for MFA.
- Create StoreFront for remote access and internal access to production XenApp 7 farm.
- Create all applications that are in the 4.5 and 6.5 farms in the production XenApp 7 farm.
- Assist with moving users to the production XenApp 7 farm.
- Training and knowledge transfer for client staff