Senior Database Reliability Engineer DBRE (REMOTE)
With FireEye, Inc. in Boston MA USMore jobs from FireEye, Inc.
Posted on April 16, 2019
About this job
Job type: Full-time
Role: System Administrator
cassandra, cloud, sysadmin
FireEye is the leader in intelligence-led security-as-a-service. Working as a seamless, scalable extension of customer security operations, FireEye offers a single platform that blends innovative security technologies, nation-state grade threat intelligence, and world-renowned Mandiant® consulting. With this approach, FireEye eliminates the complexity and burden of cyber security for organizations struggling to prepare for, prevent, and respond to cyber attacks. FireEye has over 7,000 customers across 67 countries, including more than 45 percent of the Forbes Global 2000.
FireEye is seeking a Database Reliability Engineer (DBRE) to help manage, operate and scale FireEye’s Data Platform. Reporting directly to the Data Engineering Leader, the DBRE will be responsible for keeping the data layer systems that support user-facing services running smoothly 24/7/365.
DBREs are a blend of database engineering, administration gearheads and software crafters that apply best practice engineering principles, operational discipline and mature automation, specializing in databases (PostgreSQL and Cassandra in particular). In that capacity, DBREs are peers to SREs and bring data layer expertise to the SRE, Infrastructure and engineering teams.
The Cloud Data Engineering team’s responsibilities include:
· Provide Databases as a Service to Product Engineering teams
o RDBMS, Cassandra, Elastic Search, Kafka
· Provide guidance and best practices on how to design DB Schemas for Cloud Scale
· Maintain and support the Data Science Infrastructure
· Populate the Data Science datalake from various product data sources
· Work on the data layer reliability and performance for FireEye’ cloud eco-system
· Work on observability of relevant database metrics and make sure we reach SLO
· Work with peer SREs to migrate and to roll out changes to our production environment
· Mitigate data layer-related production incidents and properly document them
· Support and debug database production issues across services and levels of the stack.
· OnCall support on rotation with the team.
· Document every action so your learnings turn into repeatable actions and then into automation.
· Provide data layer expertise to engineering teams
· Work on automation of database infrastructure and help engineering succeed by providing self-service tools.
· Make monitoring and alerting alert on symptoms and not on outages.
· Working closely with other functional groups to define priorities, direction and timelines
· Collaborate closely with Product Engineers and Product & Program Management teams in an agile engineering environment
· You have excellent communication and interpersonal skills and above all, you are a team player!
· Able to code in a modern high-level programming language (Python, Ruby, Groovy, etc)
· 10+ years of experience in managing datastores in a Cloud scale environment
· Deep domain knowledge in at least one of the data stores, listed above
· Strong listening, communication, and organizational skills
· Experience working in a distributed remote environment
· Strong passion to understand, learn, and evaluate new technologies
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.