Architect 5, Software Reliability Engineer / Evangelist
With Comcast in Philadelphia PA USMore jobs from Comcast
Posted on May 04, 2019
About this job
Job type: Full-time
Company size: 10k+ people
Company type: Public
amazon-web-services, agile, devops
Comcast's Technology & Product organization works at the intersection of media and technology. Our innovative teams are continually developing and delivering products that transform the customer experience. From creating apps like TVGo to new features such as the Talking Guide on the X1 platform, we work every day to make a positive impact through innovation in the pursuit of building amazing products that are enjoyable, easy to use and accessible across all platforms. The team also develops and supports our evolving network architecture, including next-generation consumer systems and technologies, infrastructure and engineering, network integration and management tools, and technical standards.
The Principal Architect will devise and execute on tasks for researching, selecting, and prototyping the use of technologies and tools to assist Reliability Engineering Software Development (RE SD) in continuously improving build, deployment, monitoring, and support practices. The Principal Architect will also interact with and influence one or more DevOps teams responsible for assisting RE SD product development teams in adopting open source technologies and commercial tools to reduce deployment risk, speed deployment and rollback activity, master understanding of application performance, minimize resources needed in production, and leverage on-premise and public cloud technologies. The Principal Architect will be expected to advise and assist the DevOps teams in building, deploying, and administering of tools and artifacts needed for resource management, continuous integration, continuous deployment, infrastructure as code, containerization, application performance management, virtual infrastructure onboarding, and cost management as required.
RE SD product development teams will be utilizing Agile, DevSecOps, and Software Reliability Engineering (SRE) principles. The Principal Architect must be well versed in these concepts and techniques, both to collaborate with DevOps resources in their own team and to promote continuous improvement of those techniques in all other RE SD software teams. They will frequently be expected to act as an ambassador of the Reliability Engineering organization in encouraging these approaches across all of the software product development teams of the enterprise.
The Principal Architect must produce oral and written presentations as needed to stakeholders and other executive audiences assessing the overall progress in advancing SRE and other best practices and formal plans for improvement.
The ideal Principal Architect will be able to inspire and motivate fellow Senior/Principal Architects, Engineering Managers, Product Owners, Business Analysts, Scrum Masters, User Experience Engineers and DevSecOps Engineers to improve their SRE practices to deliver increasing business value for Comcast and its syndication partners. They must achieve this through skillful collaboration with executives, supervisors, and peer leaders and by earning the trust of their colleagues through effective servant leadership.
- Define SRE best practices for use both inside RE and beyond
- Advise and assist DevSecOps professionals in delivering practical guidance to software product development teams and developing core services to be leveraged by all the teams of RE SD
- Act as a mentor to help colleagues develop the needed skills, embrace their responsibilities as champions of SRE best practices, and maximize effective collaboration with their peers
- Help identify the most important SRE practices to develop within RE and translating those into artifacts that DevSecOps professionals understand and accept
- Represent the SRE current state and road map for improvements in various domains to internal and external business and technical audiences
- Express the value of advancing SRE best practices to external technical teams as needed to expedite adoption and collaboration
- Escalate internal risks or external blockers to supervisor as appropriate
- 8+ years of recent experience working in an Agile development environment as a Senior/Principal Architect, Engineering Manager, and/or Senior Product Owner
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with limited direction
- Bachelors or Master's degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science, or Electrical Engineering
- Capable of capturing the business and technical needs of a multi-team Agile/DevSecOps software product development organization and deliver customized guidance to other teams to adopt CI/CD pipelines, infrastructure as code, containerization, virtual environment management, and best practice use of cloud services
- Experience deploying, automating, maintaining and managing on-premise, hybrid, and public cloud-based production systems to ensure the availability, performance, scalability, and security of productions systems.
- Practical experience leveraging cloud platforms for scalability and elasticity.
- Experience researching, selecting, and continuously reassessing a wide variety of open source technologies.
- Deep knowledge of the categories of tools and best candidate tools in each category need to deliver a modern deployment and infrastructure management strategy.
- Experience in creating, changing, and improving infrastructure as code (e.g., CloudFormation, Terraform)
- Experience with building CI/CD pipelines.
- Commercial experience with the deployment of containerized images, preferably Docker with Kubernetes and/or OpenShift.
- Mastery of multiple automation/configuration tools (e.g., Ansible, Chef, Puppet).
- Strong commercial exposure using scripting languages (e.g., Python)
- Experience designing and deploying pipelines of open source, commercial, and in-house developed components to deliver fault-tolerant, scalable, elastic, distributed, and secure solutions.
- Wide-ranging experience with web and application servers and common application frameworks.
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect Professional
- AWS Certified DevOps Engineer-Professional
- Knowledge of cable/telecommunication/media industry
- Subject matter expertise with Multiple System Operator (MSO) technologies, infrastructure, and business practices
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer