Lead Windows System Engineer
With Net2Source in Boston MA USMore jobs from Net2Source
Posted on May 04, 2019
About this job
Job type: Full-time
Role: System Administrator
Job Title: Lead Windows System Engineer
Location: Boston, MA
The individual will be the lead Microsoft Systems Engineer for the production environment. The individual will support the design and operations of large scale mission-critical solutions, system automation, system management/monitoring, technical standards, security standards and configuration management. The individual will collaborate with cross-functional teams to design and gather business requirements for large scale projects. The individual will also be a point of escalation for day-to-day support of mission-critical systems on our Azure Environment. The individual will report to the Dir of Operations and Infrastructure and work with other infrastructure leaders on strategic directions and initiatives for the environment. In addition the individual will participate in scheduled vendor meetings to review and discuss technical issues, assess and document vendor's recommended changes, SLAs, process and support improvement.
- Position involves serving as a Senior Systems Engineer for the Windows Server Systems Engineering/Azure team.
- Proposes and implements medium to large scale system deployment specifically around Windows Server OS, Windows SQL Server.
- Collaborates with VMWare/ESX team for template updates and new HW configuration standards.
- Analyzes, installs, and operates Windows Server operating systems.
- Conducts highly complex systems automation/scripting and systems support activities, including system integration and monitoring.
- Plays a key role in the deployment of SCCM for automated imaging, lifecycle management and patching.
- Creates and maintains documentation of systems architecture, processes and procedures.
- Work with the Enterprise Security team to ensure system configurations are in compliance with security policies and controls standards.
- Works with internal business partners to identify business requirements and suggests service improvements and/or new technology directions.
- Perform periodic performance reporting to support capacity planning.
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups.
- Perform regular security monitoring to identify any possible intrusions.
- Perform daily backup operations, ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up to the appropriate media, recovery tapes or disks are created, and media is recycled and sent off site as necessary.
QUALIFICATIONS: Summary of Experience
- In depth understanding of Windows Server administration, operations, and engineering (7 years).
- System Design and architecture. (2 years).
- System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) (3+ years)
- Experience supporting AD and Clustered SQL Server 20xx. (3+ years)
- PowerShell Scripting Experience (2+ years)
- Experience with build out of hosted data center server infrastructure (Specifically Windows servers, Nutanix storage, Cisco networking).
- Experience with SAN technologies, fiber channel switching. (5 years)
- Experience with network technologies and administration. (Cisco).
- Understanding of server virtualization technologies, specifically Hyper-V, VMWare ESX.
- Experience with Windows Server lifecycle management (e.g. patching, A/V, imaging).
- Deep experience in troubleshooting and resolving critical production issues on Windows Server.
- Analyzing, diagnosing and proposing solutions to infrastructure and/or system problems (5 years).
- Providing technical oversight and guidance on technical projects (5 years).
- Experience using diagnostic, monitoring, problem and change management tools (5 years).
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to take in high level requirements, break them down into system solutions and drive implementations.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to work with a variety of development environments and platforms.
- Current knowledge of industry trends and innovations.
- Strong system design skills
- Ability to work through a solution end-to-end, meet project deadlines, and deliver complete solutions in a supportable manner.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or engineering (or related experience preferred).
- Ability to participate in cross-functional teams to solve business and technical issues.
- Ability to successfully multi-task and prioritize work.
- Ability to work both independently.
- Knowledge of a variety of operating systems and technologies, databases, problem management, diagnostic, and monitoring tools.
- Excellent problem solving and troubleshooting skills.