Software Engineer III - Core Application
With Comcast in Philadelphia PA USMore jobs from Comcast
Posted on May 07, 2019
About this job
Job type: Full-time
Role: System Administrator
Company size: 10k+ people
Company type: Public
linux, project-management, sysadmin
Comcast brings together the best in media and technology. We drive innovation to create the world's best entertainment and online experiences. As a Fortune 50 leader, we set the pace in a variety of innovative and fascinating businesses and create career opportunities across a wide range of locations and disciplines. We are at the forefront of change and move at an amazing pace, thanks to our remarkable people, who bring cutting-edge products and services to life for millions of customers every day. If you share in our passion for teamwork, our vision to revolutionize industries and our goal to lead the future in media and technology, we want you to fast-forward your career at Comcast.
As an Engineer III working in the Core Application Platforms (CAP) team, you will be building next generation application building blocks to help other teams with faster delivery of reliable, performant, and scalable software products. As an engineer on the team you will have a large amount of input on technical design decisions, development, testing, deployment and operational support of the platforms we are building. You will also be serving as a liaison to our customers primarily other development and operations teams at Comcast.
Comcast is in the process of consolidating its software build and delivery solution to a single centrally managed platform. This platform will be used to enable the adoption of best current practices pertaining to the building, testing and deploying of software assets across Comcast's 800+ software development teams. As part of this project team, you will be responsible for the following:
- Developing toolsandpluginsto support easy adoption of the delivery platform
- Advocating forthe adoption of the central delivery platform using a combination of training, documentation and client engagement tasks
- Operating the central deliverysolutionas a highly available, performant and scalable platform
- Contributing back to the upstream open source project
We are actively seeking a diverse set of candidates to join our team. If you're not certain that you're qualified for the position, please err on the side of applying.
The CAP Team:
- We value usable and working solutions now over a perfect solution later
- We value using good enough open source software over perfect commercial software
- We value diversity of opinion over group consensus
- We value being able to pursue a plan together over everyone agreeing that the plan is the best one
- We value context and responsibility over management visibility and direction
- We start from the assumption that someone, somewhere has already figured out a solution to this problem; we value using their results over rediscovering them ourselves
- We value actively and humbly seeking and appreciating honest feedback over preserving our egos
- We value making decisions with research and reason over tradition or fear; we are fans of the scientific method
- We value building it right over building it fast
In addition to the project specific responsibilities, other general responsibilities include:
- Participating in joint design and architecture sessions
- Writing and reviewing tested, production-ready application code
- Writing and reviewing appropriate levels of documentation
- Building effective deployment and monitoring systems
- Operating and supporting production environments (including on-call support)
- Performing code reviews
- Participating in software release and deployment activities
- Coordinating constructively with other team members
- 3+ years of relevant work experience, including extensive programming experience
- BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical field
- Excellent software development skills, in a diverse set of programming styles (procedural, objected-oriented, functional). Experience with Java, Scala, Python/Ruby, and bash shell scripting a plus.
- Experience developing service-oriented architectures and an understanding of design for scalability, performance and reliability.
- Experience with high-scale, distributed web service development (hands-on experience with RESTful web services)
- Experience with Agile development methodologies and practices (refactoring, TDD, pair programming).
- UNIX/Linux background: facility with command-line utilities; familiarity with system administration tools and concepts a plus.
- Familiarity with deployment and debugging in Linux container environments a bonus
- Familiarity with distributed systems, asynchronous messaging, and network protocols.
- Familiarity with data serialization formats like JSON and protocol buffers
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer