Oracle Database Administrator
With Quanta Services, Inc. in Houston TX USMore jobs from Quanta Services, Inc.
Posted on May 15, 2019
About this job
Job type: Full-time
Role: Database Administrator, System Administrator
oracle, c, sysadmin
The Oracle Database Administrator role is responsible for the availability, security, support and integrity of the Quanta Services database platforms. This includes, but is not limited to, implementation and maintenance of both Oracle and SQL databases, support to operating units and use of various management tools. The ideal candidate would have a background in database server design and architecture, implementation, database tuning, reporting services and security.
ESSENTIAL/ NON-ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS :
- Perform daily DBA tasks, including but not limited to verify daily backups and resolve backup related issues, verify health check by reviewing database alert log errors, and space usage.
- Confirm off-site sync and database scheduled jobs completed successfully
- Resolve blocking, deadlocking, log shipping, connectivity or security issues
- Monitor database health and performance using Enterprise Manager (12c or 13c) or queries and provide recommendations based on monitoring results
- Identify and tune poorly performing reports and queries in an efficient and timely manner using Enterprise Manager or queries
- Keep up with tickets assigned and provide updates frequently
- Practice good communication skills inside and outside the team
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent preferred, but comparable work experience will be considered.
- Minimum of 5 years Oracle database administration experience (Oracle database 11g, 12c, RAC, ASM, Data Guard, RMAN, Enterprise Manager (12c or 13c), Linux, Toad and other Oracle database tools. Knowledge about Exadata is a plus.)
- Minimum of 3 years SQL Server database administration experience. (All versions from SQL Server 2012 to SQL Server 2017, knowledge about clustering, always on, and encryption is a plus).
LICENSES / CERTIFICATIONS :
- Oracle certified Associate - Preferred
- ITIL Foundation – Preferred
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Experience administering complex 24x7 database environments
- Extensive experience with instance caging and resource management including resource management plan, maintenance window, runaway queries, and CPU limit
- Good knowledge about partitioning, and compression including Exadata specific compression feature
- Proven experiences with Access Advisor, Segment Advisor, Memory Advisor and other Oracle Advisor tools
- Familiar with user, role and profile management including create/delete/change user privileges, create/delete/redesign roles and profiles. Provide recommendation for user access database design by implementing role based access.
- Comprehensive knowledge of RMAN backup and recovery including creating, modifying, and implementing RMAN backup scripts, restoring RMAN backups, managing RMAN retention policy, and other RMAN configurations in Data Guard and non-Data Guard environments
- Experience with flash back and restore points in Data Guard and non-Data Guard environments
- Experience with Data Guard failover/switchover process
- Extensive practice with Enterprise Manager including target management, metric alert management, job management and other database related tools integrated in Enterprise Manager
- Understand patching procedures including patch search, patch apply procedure, patch rollback procedure and aware of known patch issues
- Considers Oracle best practices as guidelines in all assigned tasks and make good judgements in what can be applied to current environments
- Knowledge about Exadata is a plus.
- Follow instructions carefully, and detailed oriented is a must.
- Desire to learn and improve database knowledges and skills is strongly recommended.
- Produces high quality work results with a sense of urgency while maintaining a high level of focus on detail, exactness and completeness.
- Uses excellent problem-solving, communication, and interpersonal skills along with a patient, positive, and customer-friendly attitude within a team environment.
- Customer service oriented and proactive in anticipating and resolving problems while maximizing efficient use of available IT resources.
- Acts professionally and tactfully at all times and in all situations; maintains a professional demeanor and appearance.
- Builds leveraging relationships & teamwork environment with clients, peers and other IT teams that facilitate knowledge and information sharing; contribute to team’s body of knowledge; being recognized as a dependable member of team and a source of positive energy and attitude for clients and team.
- Able to work independently or in a team
Supervises others: No
Has hiring and terminating responsibilities: No
Number of employees report to this job: 0 Subordinate Supervisory Employees, 0 Non-Supervisory Employees
Direct amount: $ 0
Indirect amount: $ 0
Travels: Yes, minimal, as needed
Percent of time: up to 10%
KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS / ABILITIES
Language Skills: English – Advanced level required
Mathematical Skills: Advanced level required
Reasoning Skills/Abilities: Advanced level required