Principal Cloud Operations Engineer
With Hopper in Cambridge MA USMore jobs from Hopper
Posted on May 15, 2019
About this job
Job type: Full-time
Experience level: Senior, Lead, Manager
Role: System Administrator
Industry: Travel & Tourism
Company size: 51-200 people
Company type: VC Funded
cloud, automation, web-services
A stellar opportunity to have massive impact: join a rapidly growing team at a company continually redefining how people travel. As a Cloud Engineer, you will be looked at as the subject matter expert (SME) at Hopper as we migrate to the public cloud. We're looking for passionate engineers that enjoy partnering with software engineering teams to build and maintain automation to accelerate cloud adoption. You will be asked to leverage your understanding of public cloud architectural design and Hopper's software to design and implement solutions that are secure, scalable and operationally sound. Are you ready to come help architect the future Hopper with us!
Have the infrastructure knowledge to assess our current on-premise services and lead creation of future cloud designs.
Drive solutions that improve our infrastructure capabilities, optimizing for security, cost, and operational simplicity.
Design, implement, and maintain the automation/services that seamlessly spans multiple data centers and one cloud provider.
Work with cross organizational teams to develop best-in-breed solutions to complex problems.
Execute on big opportunities, helping Hopper rise to the top of the travel industry.
Participate in on-call rotation and travel as needed.
Qualifications and Background:
The perfect candidate will possess the ability to discuss complex technical concepts with a diverse audience across all areas of the organization. They will remain calm under pressure and always strive to add structure to high-pressure, fast paced tasks or projects.
- Deep expertise in one or more public cloud platforms (AWS, GCP).
- Prior experience as a Linux System Administrator, ideally CentOS.
- Experience working with configuration, CICD and orchestration technologies (such as Kubernetes, Mesos, Ansible, Jenkins, etc).
- Background in DevOps, Software Engineering, Systems Engineering or Site Reliability Engineering.
- Firm grasp of at least one modern programming language (Python, Go, etc).
- You have experience running a mission critical service at scale.
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with demonstrated technical leadership.
- Experience writing automation tools & eagerness to "automate all the things".
- Working Knowledge of Terraform, Vault and other DevOps/Service tools.
- Experience with Apache projects (such as: hbase, kafka, spark).
- Experience with data center networking and/or cloud networking.
- Experience with managing hosted services/SaaS.
ABOUT THE TEAM
Our engineering team cares deeply about the growth and success of Hopper, and tries to deliver the best possible experience we can to our more than 35 million users. Work on an award winning product that our customers love and continue to find exceptionally useful in a market and space that is continually growing every year.
At Hopper, we’re on a mission to make booking travel faster, easier, and more transparent. We are leveraging the power that comes from combining massive amounts of data and machine learning to build the world’s fastest-growing travel app -- one that enables our customers to save money and travel more. With over $235M CAD in funding from leading investors in both Canada and the US, Hopper is primed to continue its path toward becoming the go-to way to book travel as the world continues its shift to mobile.
Recognized as the fastest-growing travel app by Forbes and one of the world’s most innovative companies by Fast Company two years in a row, Hopper has been downloaded over 35 million times and has helped travelers plan over 100 million trips and counting. The app has received high praise in the form of mobile accolades such as the Google Play Award for Standout Startup of 2016 and Apple’s App Store Best of 2015.
Take off with us!
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options.
- Dynamic and entrepreneurial team where pushing limits is everyday business.
- 100% employer paid medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans.
- Easy commute with a paid-for public transportation or parking pass.
- IATA Travel Agent Card for discounts in the travel industry.
- Fully stocked kitchen with: coffee/tea, beer, bagels and snacks (both healthy and not-healthy).
- Team lunches, off-site activities and much more!
- In Cambridge, work in a historic factory building near Kendall Square; in Montreal, work in an artist’s loft in the Mile End.