Software Engineering Manager
With Siemens AG in Poole - GBMore jobs from Siemens AG
Posted on June 08, 2019
About this job
Job type: Full-time
Experience level: Manager
Role: System Administrator
Industry: Electronics, Industrial Automation, Software Development / Engineering
Company size: 10k+ people
Company type: Public
Siemens Mobile Communications produces highly successful communication products for the global market including almost every rail vehicle in the UK. We are developing the generation of applications using 4G/5G wireless communications on smartphone technology to global standards. Our software development environment facilitates agile develop of mission critical applications providing an opportunity for a new Engineering Manager to lead the early stage development and architecture to deliver flexible base for customisation from our global clients
This will support the Head of Engineering in managing the engineering function, with a primary focus on the management of the software development team to initially produce our next generation 4G and 5G radio products as well as significant continued development of our current GSM-R product range. A knowledge of hardware engineering would be of benefit.
The successful applicant will be dynamic and driven to deliver products on time and at high quality.
Is Siemens Mobile Comms the place to enjoy your next success?
* You will give positive support to the MC management team through contribution to management team and strategy meetings and quarterly risk and engineering reviews.
* You will provide the lead and direction to the Software engineering function to support engineering's contribution to the overall business result through management of departmental budgets, review of development estimates and monitoring overall performance of development projects.
* You will plan, co-ordinate and manage engineering resources (people and facilities), alongside staff development and training, and where necessary, investigate / implement resource sharing between business units.
* The role will see you support a competitive advantage in the development of software (and ideally hardware) in terms of cost, time and quality through the development and implementation of engineering strategies including outsourcing / procurement strategies, resourcing strategies and technology utilisation and re-use.
* You will ensure development processes and tools are appropriate, efficient and best of class. Engagement with Siemens engineering forums is available to ensure best practice methodology adopted within MC.
* There is plenty of opportunity to stimulate and support development involvement in CSR initiatives (e.g. STEMNET).
* You'll encourage creativity and innovation within the team. Monitoring relevant technological developments and using this information, define a technology strategy necessary to meet the business objectives.
* You will ensure quality in product development, documentation control, configuration management is at a sufficiently high level to pass the scrutiny of internal and external audits.
* You will develop and maintain engineering procedures and processes and implement any process improvements necessary to ensure the “Develop the Solution” processes on the BMS reflect business activities. Siemens has a zero harm workplace and we strive to ensure that everyone here (and using our equipment) is safe.
What do I need to qualify for this role?
* Honours Degree or above in related engineering discipline.
* Member of IET (or equivalent) – preferably Chartered Engineer.
* Comprehensive understanding of software development methodologies, tools and techniques, especially Agile and Waterfall approaches.
* Deep understanding of electronic hardware design is beneficial.
* An experienced manager of a software engineering team, with experience of the implementation and maintenance of processes and procedures.
* Understanding of ISO 9001 and TickIT quality management systems.
* Participation in an open and accountable environment based on team agreed objectives.
* Technical management of complex development projects.
* Expertise in costing and estimating development projects.
* Good communicator who is at ease delivering the development group vision via presentations to both the development team and the wider Mobile Communications business during monthly team briefs.
We’re Siemens. A collection of over 348,000 great minds who are all making the future and you could be one of them. We have offices across the UK, full of talented individuals helping us to challenge the today and work towards a brighter tomorrow.
Want to join us and be a Future Maker?
We’re excited to hear that you would like to join us here at Siemens. Our people love it here and we want you to be a part of helping us make real, what matters.
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas, of the application form, to the best of your ability to help us review your suitability for the role. We will be in contact as soon as possible with an update on your application.
What else do I need to know?
The benefits package for this role includes not only a generous base salary, but an annual bonus. We know that not everyone’s lifestyle is the same, so we operate a flexible benefits scheme where you can tailor your benefits package to suit you.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new. That’s why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We embrace diversity and create what’s right for the world by employing the people who live in it.
Siemens recognise that building a diverse workforce is critical to the success of our business. We strongly encourage applications from a diverse talent pool and welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements and workplace adjustments with all our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation.