System Dev Engineer - AWS Safety Engineering
With Amazon in Vancouver - CAMore jobs from Amazon
Posted on June 09, 2019
About this job
Job type: Full-time
Role: System Administrator
Industry: E-Commerce, Retail, Software Development / Engineering
Company size: 10k+ people
Company type: Public
AWS customers have come to rely on our track record of stellar operational performance. Our team ensures that the quickly expanding number and scale of services are able to deliver that reliability promise.
Amazon Web Services is seeking a Senior System Development Engineer to drive the long-term technical vision of our world-class Safety Engineering group. We analyze trends and build software used across AWS to reduce recurrence, duration, and size of customer impacting events.
As a Sr. Engineer in AWS Safety Engineering, you will drive a large-scale initiatives that automate the incident and problem management process for all of AWS.
What You Will Do:
· Architect, design, implement, support, and evaluate secure, operational safety focused tools and services including project leadership roles
· Drive an environment of continuous improvement and world-class efficiency
· Challenge conventional thinking; create innovative paths forward
· Functionally decompose complex problems into simple, straight-forward solutions
· Work cross-functionally with other teams to continually improve operational readiness and availability
· Anticipate bottlenecks, provide escalation management, make trade-offs, and encourage risk-taking to maximize business benefit
· Evaluate and recommend new and emerging products and technologies
· Drive operation excellence in your organization.
As a senior technical individual contributor you will join the ranks of a large and growing community of senior engineers who are redefining how distributed systems are scaled and operated. You will help establish technical standards and drive Amazon’s overall technical architecture and engineering practices. You’ll work on Amazon’s hardest problems, building high quality, architecturally sound systems that are aligned with our business needs.
Skills & requirements
· 5+ years of experience in server infrastructure or network administration.
· A solid grounding in Computer Science fundamentals (based on a Bachelors or Masters of Science in CS or related field)
· Strong Linux administration experience from provisioning to performance tuning, and a solid grasp on operating system fundamentals
· Experience in configuration of network architecture using tools such VPC, Subnets, AWS Cloudwatch, CloudFormation etc.
· Experience defining system architectures and exploring technical feasibility tradeoffs
· Proficiency in at least one modern programming language such as C, C++, C#, Java, Python, Go-lang, Ruby, Scala, etc
· Excellent written and verbal communication, analytical and collaborative problem-solving skills
· Comfortable working across multiple teams and organizations
· Strong sense of ownership and drive
· Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
· Understanding of CI/CD and Agile software engineering practices
· Substantial background in support for large scale application implementations.
· Experience with distributed computing and enterprise-wide systems
· Experience in communicating with executives to describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy
· Experience mentoring software or system engineers
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer