Lead Software Engineer
With University of Chicago | Center for Translational Data Science in Chicago IL USMore jobs from University of Chicago | Center for Translational Data Science
Posted on June 10, 2019
About this job
Location options: Paid relocation
Job type: Full-time
Experience level: Lead
Industry: Big Data, Biotechnology, Cloud Computing
Company size: 10k+ people
Company type: Private
python, postgres, bigdata, amazon-web-services, openstack
The Lead Software Engineer in the Center for Translational Data Science manages all aspects of programming projects, including requirements, design, implementation, deployment/delivery, and support. In this role, you will lead team efforts and oversee the work of other technical team members dedicated to building biomedical data commons in support of data-driven cancer research. The team will depend on your for technical oversight and to develops standards, guidelines, and processes for applications. You will review the design and code development of key architectural components.
Our work lies at the intersection of cutting edge research and production systems, both in terms of the bioinformatics and the computer science principles being utilized. The data commons we are building offer some of the world's largest collections of biomedical data for scientific research and discovery.
- Help translate high level requirements into well-architected and well-tested design and implementation.
- Lead a team of software engineers and provide technical guidance and leadership for the team to follow best practices and deliver quality software timely.
- Review pull requests and provide constructive feedback to ensure and improve quality of code.
- Collaborate with, support, and help the team members to grow and realize their full potential, and make the right decisions collectively.
- Help triage critical issues and defects during testing and in production and address them rapidly.
- Master's degree in computer science, mathematics, statistics, engineering, or a related field.
- PhD in mathematics, computer science, engineering, or a related field.
- Experience with full development life cycle and Agile process required, including creating design specifications and other technical documentation.
- In-depth knowledge with design patterns, cloud architecture (AWS/Openstack), RESTful API, web services, and modern database and data analytics technologies (Postgres, MySQL, NoSQL, Elasticsearch, Spark, Hadoop, etc.).
- Experience leading dev teams and educating/mentoring fellow developers.
- Unix/Linux programming or system administration experience.
- Frontend (web UI) development experience.