Senior Bioinformatician - Wormbase
With Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute in Cambridge - GBMore jobs from Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute
Posted on June 11, 2019
About this job
Compensation: £37k - 44k
Location options: Visa sponsor
Job type: Full-time
Experience level: Senior, Lead
Role: System Administrator
python, linux, unix, perl, mysql
Permanent/ Open Contract
The Parasite genomics team at the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute are seeking a talented Bioinformatician to develop WormBase ParaSite (parasite.wormbase.org), an integrated portal for parasitic worm genomics.
Parasitic worms are responsible for more than one billion human infections globally and have a devastating impact on livestock and agriculture. WormBase ParaSite facilitates new approaches to the study and control of parasitic worms by integrating, analysing and displaying genomic data for hundreds of species. At also serves as a foundation for comparative genomics, enabling deep explorations of genome evolution across all roundworms and flatworms and, more broadly, across other animal taxa.
You will work on a range of data analysis, data integration and community-engagement activities for WormBase ParaSite, and will also actively participate in the exciting next phase of development for the resource. The main areas of focus will be:
- Customisation and deployment of annotation pipelines for parasitic worm genomes
- Analysis, curation and integration of large-scale genomics data sets (e.g. studies of gene expression and genomic variation)
- Community engagement, including presentations and training workshops at conferences
WormBase ParaSite is a sister project to the well-known WormBase (www.wormbase.org) and Ensembl (www.ensembl.org) projects. As well as working with genome scientists within the Parasite genomics team, you will also collaborate closely with WormBase and Ensembl staff at the neighbouring European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI).
- Programming/scripting experience (e.g. Perl, Python)
- Experience with relational databases (MySQL or Postgres)
- Proficiency in Unix/Linux operating system
- Excellent communication skills
- Attention to detail
C** losing date for applications: 28th June 2019**