Software Engineer, Infrastructure
With Google in San Bruno CA USMore jobs from Google
Posted on June 10, 2019
About this job
Job type: Full-time
Experience level: Junior, Mid-Level, Senior
Role: Database Administrator, System Administrator
Industry: Cloud Services, Hardware Engineering, Internet Infrastructure
Company size: 10k+ people
Company type: Public
java, tcp, hadoop, linux, sql
In school or graduated within last 9 months? We encourage you to apply to openings on the Student Jobs site
Note: By applying to this position your application is automatically submitted to the following locations: San Francisco, CA, USA; San Bruno, CA, USA; Mountain View, CA, USA; Sunnyvale, CA, USA
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science or related technical field or equivalent practical experience.
- 1-year of relevant work experience in software development.
- Professional coding experience in C/C++, Java, Python or Go.
- Experience architecting and developing large scale distributed systems. Experience in concurrency, multithreading and synchronization.
- MS or PhD in Computer Science.
- Experience with Unix/Linux environments.
- Experience with TCP/IP and network programming.
- Experience with database internals, database language theories, database design, SQL and database programming.
- Understanding of technologies such as virtualization and global infrastructure, load balancing, networking, massive data storage, Hadoop, MapReduce and security.
- Interest or exposure to networking technologies/concepts such as Software Defined Networking (SDN) and OpenFlow.
About the job
Google's software engineers develop the next-generation technologies that change how billions of users connect, explore, and interact with information and one another. Our products need to handle information at massive scale, and extend well beyond web search. We're looking for engineers who bring fresh ideas from all areas, including information retrieval, distributed computing, large-scale system design, networking and data storage, security, artificial intelligence, natural language processing, UI design and mobile; the list goes on and is growing every day. As a software engineer, you will work on a specific project critical to Google’s needs with opportunities to switch teams and projects as you and our fast-paced business grow and evolve. We need our engineers to be versatile, display leadership qualities and be enthusiastic to take on new problems across the full-stack as we continue to push technology forward.
As a Software Engineer working on Google's infrastructure, you have the opportunity to work on everything from the core platform that runs the world's largest distributed network to redefining the systems that allow applications and services to provide useful information to billions of users around the globe. From our Data Center software groups to Google's Cloud Platform, Gmail to YouTube, our infrastructure engineers across departments wrestle with the vast scale of a ubiquitous system, its products, and services and revolutionize industry leading technologies to handle the sheer magnitude at which Google operates.
Google is and always will be an engineering company. We hire people with a broad set of technical skills who are ready to take on some of technology's greatest challenges and make an impact on millions, if not billions, of users. At Google, engineers not only revolutionize search, they routinely work on massive scalability and storage solutions, large-scale applications and entirely new platforms for developers around the world. From Google Ads to Chrome, Android to YouTube, Social to Local, Google engineers are changing the world one technological achievement after another.
- Build our platforms, systems and infrastructure using your strong background in distributed systems and large scale storage systems.
- Manage individual projects priorities, deadlines and deliverables with your technical expertise.
- Design, develop, test, deploy, maintain, and enhance software solutions. At Google, we don’t just accept difference—we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. Google is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also Google's EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.