Commercial NOC - Transport Engineer 2
With Comcast in Greenwood Village CO USMore jobs from Comcast
Posted on June 12, 2019
About this job
Job type: Full-time
Role: System Administrator
Company size: 10k+ people
Company type: Public
Comcast's Technology & Product organization works at the intersection of media and technology. Our innovative teams are continually developing and delivering products that transform the customer experience. From creating apps like TVGo to new features such as the Talking Guide on the X1 platform, we work every day to make a positive impact through innovation in the pursuit of building amazing products that are enjoyable, easy to use and accessible across all platforms. The team also develops and supports our evolving network architecture, including next-generation consumer systems and technologies, infrastructure and engineering, network integration and management tools, and technical standards.
Responsible for operating, managing and supporting the optical transport networks as well as associated infrastructure in a 7/24 environment.. This would include day to day operational responsibilities includes pro active monitoring, isolation, triage and resolution of all network outages/impairments. Serve as operations support for various regions, vendors, internal/external organizations. Contributes to the command and control network related activities focused on restoration of outages, clear and concise communication across Comcast/Vendors and Commercial customers and rapid restoration of network services. Works and directly leads external vendors, third parties, and associated fix agents, when necessary, to address issues across the network, peering arrangements, interoperability issues, etc. Works with limited supervision and direction while executing associated functions and responsibilities. Follows all operational practices and independently determines/develops approaches for nonroutine solutions.
- Provides technical support for network problems and simulation of network issues.
- Strong Analytical/Communication/Troubleshooting skills.
- Proactive/Reactive monitoring of Comcast's national and regional transport (Optical) network. This would include commercial support offerings utilizing the core transport network.
- Troubleshoot network outages, and network degradation to resolution. Ownership end to end.
- Create processes and procedures for troubleshooting and ticket management as needed.
- Initiate root cause analysis (RCA) requests, participate in RCA calls as needed.
- Strong bridge management abilities.
- Works to ensure that all systems and bug fixes are complete in new releases and upgrades.
- Works with vendors on new software and upgrade releases.
- Consistent exercise of independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance.
- Regular, consistent and punctual attendance. Must be able to work nights and weekends, variable schedule(s) as necessary.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to produce documentation of operational procedures.
- Knowledge of related industry specifications and standards IEEE, ANSI, Fiber (Multimode, Single mode, UTP, etc.), Bridging, Switching, Routing, Ethernet and Transport technologies and protocols
- Knowledge in network design, network architecture, protocols and network topology
- Works with limited supervision and direction while executing associated functions and responsibilities. Follows operational practices and independently determines/develops approaches for non-routine solutions
- Proficiency of the following optical platforms and technologies:
- Cisco CRS, ASR
- CPL Common Photonic Layer
- Metro 5200
- OME 6500
- Alcatel Lucent
- Bachelor's Degree or Equivalent
- Generally requires 2-5 years related experience
- Understanding of TCP/IP and the following networking protocols: TCP/IP, UDP, DNS, HTTP, SMTP, FTP, SSL, ISIS, BGP, BGP Address Families, L2VPN, MPLS
- Candidates must have experience with technologies such as optical transport, photonic layer design, DWDM, Next-Gen DWDM, 100G and Flex Spectrum.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer