With European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI) in Hinxton - GBMore jobs from European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI)
Posted on June 11, 2019
About this job
Location options: Visa sponsor, Paid relocation
Job type: Full-time
Experience level: Mid-Level
Role: System Administrator
Industry: Bioinformatics, Biotechnology, Computer Software
Company size: 501-1k people
Company type: Public
sysadmin, postgresql, oracle, scripting, mysql
We are seeking a motivated Database Administrator/Engineer to join the Databases Team (DB Team), part of the TSC
The DB Team is responsible for the database administration and management of the large central database environment that is deployed over a Virtual Infrastructure based on VMWare and the DBMSs currently supported range through MySQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL, Vertica, Mongo DB and MS SQL Server.
Our customers are the Services and Research internal teams of EMBL-EBI.
The Database Engineer role in our team involves Database Administration and Engineering activities for the Production, Development and Test database environments across the supported database technologies. We are seeking for existing Oracle and PostgreSQL skills.
The candidate will be responsible with colleagues in the DB team for the good functioning of the database pipelines and in addition to traditional DBA tasks, from a Database Engineering perspective the candidate will work with our customers in areas such as:
- Advising on database technology choice for new or refactoring projects;
- Advising on Database design;
- Advising customers on projects involving migrating applications to a different DBMS;
- Database Performance Tuning
- Query Optimisation and advising on query creation
The activities of the Database Administration Team include (but are not limited to):
- Database software installation and configuration;
- Back-up and recovery;
- Data replication solutions across datacentres;
- Performance tuning;
- Data copies and cloning;
- Exploring innovation;
- Monitoring, reporting and keeping online documentation up-to-date;
- Interacting with database developers and application developers from the EMBL-EBI service and research teams;
- Communicating technical documents.
- Degree in Computer Science or an equivalent discipline
- Proven experience in a role with similar responsibilities to those described for 3 years or more
- Administration, configuration and tuning of Oracle
- Administration, configuration and tuning of PostgreSQL
- Query Optimisation and creation
- Database Performance Tuning
- Experience with multi-Terabyte databases
- Experience with multi-datacentre architectures and data replication across WAN
- Experience with one or more among SQL, Python, Shell
- Experience with one or more among Nagios, PMM, Puppet, Foreman
- Experience and operation of databases on Linux RedHat or equivalent within a virtualised environment
- Service-oriented, be well-organised and able to work to deadlines
- The ability to work collaboratively within a team, excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- The ability to build positive, collaborative relationship
- Excellent working knowledge of English, verbal communication skills and communicates in a clear way
You might also have:
- Understanding of enterprise IT Infrastructures (including compute, storage and networking
- Database migrations experience and post-migration validation and optimisation
- Experience with Clouds and Containerization
Why join us:
At EMBL-EBI, we help scientists realise the potential of ‘big data’ in biology by enabling them to exploit complex information to make discoveries that benefit mankind.
Working for EMBL-EBI gives you an opportunity to apply your skills and energy for the greater good.
As part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), we are a non-profit, intergovernmental organisation funded by 22 member states and two associate member states.
We are located on the Wellcome Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK, and our 600 staff are engineers, technicians, scientists and other professionals from all over the world.
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme and health insurance, educational and other family related benefits where applicable, as well as financial support for relocation and installation.
We have an informal culture, international working environment and excellent professional development opportunities but one of the really amazing things about us is the concentration of technical and scientific expertise – something you probably won’t find anywhere else.
If you’ve ever visited the campus you’ll have experienced first-hand our friendly, collegial and supportive atmosphere, set in the beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. Our staff also enjoy excellent sports facilities including a gym, a free shuttle bus, an on-site nursery, cafés and restaurant and a library.
What else you need to know:
To view a copy of the full job description please visit our website.
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV through our online system.
Applications are welcome from all nationalities and this will continue after Brexit. For more information please see our website. Visa information will be discussed in more depth with applicants selected for interview.
EMBL-EBI is committed to achieving gender balance and strongly encourages applications from women, who are currently under-represented at all levels. Appointment will be based on merit alone.
Applications will close on Tuesday 23 July 2019 at 23:00 GMT.