Audio Hardware Director
With Facebook in Menlo Park CA USMore jobs from Facebook
Posted on July 27, 2019
About this job
Job type: Full-time
Role: System Administrator
Industry: Machine Learning, Mobile, Software Development / Engineering
Company size: 10k+ people
Company type: Public
design, windows, sysadmin
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
As Audio Systems Director in the AR/VR organization at Facebook, you will build and lead the audio system's design team that pushes forward the state of virtual reality and augmented reality across the fields of acoustics, audio DSP and audio electrical design. You should be passionate about experimenting with new audio designs as well as being rock solid competent when it comes to implementing them for production. You and your team will directly own the design, implementation, and validation of VR/AR and consumer hardware audio systems across the lifecycle from initial conception to mass production.
- Build, mentor and manage a team of managers and engineers responsible for consumer Audio Product development
- Lead the team in developing new technologies, prototypes (proof of experiences and proof of concepts) and drive the audio VR/AR roadmap
- Lead the team of engineers in executing audio system design integration for consumer VR hardware projects from concept proposal to mass production
- Collaborate with mechanical engineering team on the integration of audio system into VR/AR and consumer hardware products
- Lead team in debug and resolution of audio related issues
- Work with vendors to create customized transducers to meet high performance requirements
- Hands-on involvement with the team in the development of audio systems in hardware projects (Design, Data analysis, validation, and factory support)
- Travel requirements: 10-15%
- BS in Engineering: Electrical, Physics, Acoustics or equivalent experience
- 15+ years of experience in audio system design
- Experience in designing and shipping high volume consumer products that includes audio systems
- Experience in audio acoustic measurements including using equipment from Audio Precision, SoundCheck, G.R.A.S, Bruel & Kjaer, and/or HEAD acoustics
- Knowledge of acoustic development of transducers for headphone, speakers and microphone systems
- Knowledge of electrical design of audio systems including component selection (CODEC, audio amplifiers, microphones, etc.)
- Knowledge of audio digital signal processing (DSP) tuning for echo cancellers, noise suppression, equalizers, filters, etc.
- Knowledge of acoustic simulation of transducers and modules using lumped sum and FEM tools (MicroCap, COMSOL, etc.)
- People management experience, with a proven experience hiring and growing personnel
- Experience working with offshore partners
- Communication experience, with experience working with Product Design engineers and other hardware/software cross-functional functions
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at email@example.com.