DevOps Engineer - AWS, Docker & Terraform
With OakNorth Analytical Intelligence (UK) Ltd in London - GBMore jobs from OakNorth Analytical Intelligence (UK) Ltd
Posted on August 10, 2019
About this job
Compensation: £70k - 150k
Job type: Full-time
Experience level: Mid-Level, Senior
Industry: Financial Services, Financial Technology, Machine Learning
Company size: 51–200 people
Company type: Public
python, linux, docker, terraform, kubernetes
With offices in London, New York, Singapore, Istanbul, Gurgaon, Bangalore and Shanghai, OakNorth’s mission is to enable growth businesses to obtain the debt finance they need to pursue their ambitions. Our platform, which we developed to address this problem, is being used by several leading banks around the world, and by us in the UK via our own balance sheet lending.
OakNorth was set up in 2015 by Rishi Khosla and Joel Perlman, who previously co-founded Copal Amba and grew it to 3,000 employees over 12 years, before selling it to Moody’s (NYSE: MCO) in 2014, returning 125 times capital to seed investors.
Since its inception, OakNorth has secured over $1bn from several investors, including: Clermont Group, Coltrane, EDBI of Singapore, GIC, Indiabulls, NIBC, Toscafund, and SoftBank’s Vision Fund.
In the UK, the platform has helped us build a profitable loan book of over $4bn and secure over $600m of repayments. In terms of the impact this has had on the economy, our loans have directly helped with the creation of 10,000 new homes and 13,000 new jobs in the UK, as well as adding several billion pounds to the economy. Globally, the platform has been deployed at various banks across North America, Europe, and Asia.
Today, the global team is made up of 550 people.
- Have excellent leadership skills and experience: Knows how to recruit, motivate, lead and retain excellent devops engineers
- Lead by example: The right person will want to spend most of their time doing, rather than managing
- Have been there, done that: Experience of infrastructure and release automation in a continuous integration/continuous delivery framework. Probably were a sysadmin before devops became a thing
- Have strong opinions: They won't be inflexible, but their deep experience has led them to a good practical knowledge of what works and what doesn't
- Be a committed team player: Works well with devs and client stakeholders to ensure mutually excellent outcomes
- Have exceptional judgement: By the time they say a release is good to go, or infra is ready to ship for a client, it's rock solid
- Have good spoken and written communication skills: Not going to disappear or be hard to talk to or work with. Able to work with counterparts at clients to understand their needs and ensure our infrastructure works for them
- Be a self-starter: They will be trustworthy in a situation with a high degree of self-management. Will just grind on problems making things better
- Be calm in a crisis: If there is an emergency, they step up and deal with it. When things calm down, they make it so it doesn't happen again
- Be meticulous about planning and organisation: Even if the dev effort is a little chaotic, infra is rock solid
- Be great at the 1 to n: We've built a version which works for our first couple of clients. We need the person who will make it work flawlessly for many clients in multiple timezones etc
- Be low drama: Looks to resolve problems, not amplify them
- Believe in process: Deep commitment to setting up and automating excellent processes. Will build out an automated alerting machine and then make sure the phone never has to ring
- Deep Unix/Linux experience
- Enough bash, python etc to be dangerous
- Networking and information security
- Docker, Kubernetes
- Infrastructure automation: Terraform, Ansible, Salt stack, Puppet/Chef etc
- Cloud providers: Working experience of AWS and at least one of Azure, Alibaba and GCP
- Log collection and monitoring: ELK or similar
- Continuous integration: Jenkins, CircleCI, Bamboo
Thank you very much for your interest in OakNorth. We are happy to consider you for roles within our group of companies. If we can identify a match between your skill set and our immediate recruiting needs, please expect to hear from us very soon. If we are unable to identify a fit in the near term, please note that we intend to retain the data you send to us so we may contact you in the future.