Scientist (data manager) / Database specialist / Engineer (m/f/d)
With Helmholtz-Zentrum Geestnacht GmbH' in Geesthacht - DEMore jobs from Helmholtz-Zentrum Geestnacht GmbH'
Posted on August 12, 2019
About this job
Job type: Full-time
Role: System Administrator
sysadmin, machine-learning, database
Scientist (data manager) / Database specialist / Engineer (m/f/d) Development of electronic laboratory notebook
code no. 2019/WB 2
The place of employment is Geesthacht, Germany.
The Institute of Materials Research at HZG focusses on the development of lightweight alloys by optimization of microstructural and mechanical properties for specific applications based on scientific knowledge. To this end, it is crucial to understand the mechanisms governing the interactions between composition, processing and fabrication parameters, microstructure and mechanical properties. Presumption for this scientific work is the unambiguous assignment of experimental data to the materials tested as well as safe and clear storage and ordering of data of materials, processing and measured properties. To overcome the inherent disadvantages of hand-written laboratory notebooks and to fulfill the requirements of open data assessment development and implementation of an electronic laboratory notebook (ELN) is intended. Here, special focus is laid on user-friendly data input.
Within this framework we are looking for a Scientist (data manager) / Database specialist / Engineer (m/f/d) Development of electronic laboratory notebook. The position is initially limited for three years (starting as soon as possible).
You will be responsible for the development and implementation of an ELN containing processing and experimental data from various sources (e.g. data from different fabrication steps and materials data including microstructure and mechanical properties). Working basis are existing digital and paper documentations and paper lab notebooks. You will work in close cooperation with colleagues of different departments and different disciplines responsible for processing of materials, fabrication of components and assessment of experimental data. Aim is to accomplish a practice oriented user interface for input as well as for assessment of data.
In detail, you will be responsible for
- development of the fundamental concept of the database considering especially the very different data sources and identifying their common features in order to enable consistent and easy access to and evaluation of data
- installation of hardware for entering data on site of material production and analysis, i.e. manual input as well as automated parameter and results transfer
- implementation of the database
- implementation of changelog for traceability
- design and implementation of input and output interfaces with a particular focus on usability
- step-wise feeding of the database with suitable existing data under continuous testing
- administration of user rights for different parts of the database
- continuous maintenance of the database and adaption to newly developed processes Requirements
- Bachelor's degree or Diploma in Computer Science, Engineering or comparable
- strong analytical skills and sound theoretical background
- excellent programming skills in implementation of SQL databases experience in script languages, e.g. PHP, Python, Perl
- experience in automated documentation of manufacturing processes is appreciated
- background knowledge in the field of materials research is appreciated
- team spirit, excellent communication and organization skills, fluent English We offer
- multinational work environment with over 950 colleagues from more than 50 nations
- extensive options of vocational training (i. a. expert seminars, language courses or leadership seminars)
- flexible working hours and various models to ensure ensure the compatibility of family and career
- excellent infrastructure including modern work spaces
- remuneration according to the standards of the collective wage agreement TV-AVH including further social benefits
The promotion of equal rights is a matter of course for us. Severely disabled persons and those equaling severely disabled persons who are equally suitable for the position will be considered preferentially within the framework of legal requirements.
The Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht (HZG), in Geesthacht, near Hamburg, and in Teltow, near Berlin, conducts materials and coastal research. For further information please refer to: http://www.hzg.de
HZG is one of the 19 national institutions of the Hermann von Helmholtz Association of German Research Centres e.V. (HGF). Around 950 employees carry out basic research and development work in close cooperation with national and international research institutions, research-oriented clinics and economic and public institutions.
At the Institute of Materials Research some 200 scientists conduct research in the five sub-institutes "Materials Mechanics", "Materials Physics", "Materials Technology", "Magnesium Innovation Centre MagIC" and "Metallic Biomaterials".
Interested? Please send your application indicating job offer code-no. 2019/WB 2 including your CV, copies of credentials including grades and documentation of your English skills (TOEFL, IELTS or equivalent), preferably by e-mail in one file not larger than 10 MB to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: September 8th, 2019
Contact: Erika Kru?ger