My SQL Database Administrator
With Orion Advisor Services in Omaha NE USMore jobs from Orion Advisor Services
Posted on August 12, 2019
About this job
Compensation: $80k - 110k
Job type: Full-time
Experience level: Mid-Level
Role: Database Administrator, System Administrator
Industry: Financial Services, Financial Technology, Software Development
Company size: 501–1k people
Company type: Private
mysql, sysadmin, sql, linux, etl
The MySQL Database Administrator is responsible for the effective design, architecture, and operation of enterprise wide databases. This position will leverage MySQL, related reporting and tuning tools. This position is responsible for identifying innovative approaches to achieving top performance in a rapid application development environment while maintaining overall database reliability and integrity.
What does this role entail?
- Assists with identifying performance bottlenecks (OS, Network, and Database), tuning of both SQL statements and RDBMS software; suggests optimal performance recommendations
- Writes, debugs and unit tests stored procedures and triggers
- Creating databases, administrates security, resolves and troubleshoots database issues, oversees and performs upgrades, conversions and deployments, as needed
- Monitors databases to optimize database performance, health, resource use, and physical implementations of databases; address a variety of database integration issues including migration between disparate databases, integration, maintenance/conversion, capacity planning issues, and new applications
- Creates, rotates, and integrates related database backups based on business needs by having thorough knowledge of database software recovery mechanisms
PHYSICAL DATABASE STRUCTURES
- Provides support to application developers in designing and implementing physical database structures
- Reviews, develops, and designs data models using standard diagramming techniques, in conjunction with application development teams; creates logical data models and translates into physical database structures that integrate with existing or proposed database structures
What skills and knowledge is needed?
- Strong knowledge of MySQL/Aurora internals such as server configurations, storage engines, server deployment, etc.
- Strong knowledge of cloud services such as AWS, Google Cloud, Azure, etc.
- Strong knowledge of database clustering, replication, as well as database modeling and design skills
- Strong knowledge of data dictionary and database scripting, SQL development, unit testing, and systems administration on Microsoft
- Strong knowledge of limitations of MySQL/Aurora and available workarounds
- Familiarity with Bash and the terminal, Linux navigation
- Ability to design and implement solutions to ensure database availability and recoverability
- Ability to script solutions as well as a strong knowledge of Command-Line or GUI administration tools to manage change control and monitoring of systems
- Proven architecture skills in designing database environments for various business needs (e.g., high-availability, failover, replication, and disaster-recovery, virtual machine environment)
Education and Experience:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field of study required
- Orion Series 65 certification must be obtained within 90 days of employment
- Minimum of 3 years of experience with installing, configuring, tuning and troubleshooting MySQL/Aurora in a high volume, high availability production environment required
- Minimum of 2 years running MySQL/Aurora in a cloud based environment preferred
- Experience with Database Optimization and Performance Tuning required
- Experience with database troubleshooting and failure resolution required