Software Engineering Manager, Frontend Infrastructure
With Wayfair in Boston MA USMore jobs from Wayfair
Posted on August 13, 2019
About this job
Job type: Full-time
Role: Frontend Developer
Industry: Computer Software, eCommerce, Retail
Company size: 10k+ people
Company type: Public
Shopping for the home is often overwhelming. Wayfair is an extreme case – it’s visited by two million people daily, shopping across more than 10 million products: Home furnishings, décor, home improvement, housewares, and more. Our software engineering teams work hard to conceal the complexityof this experience. Every customer should come away feeling like they’ve found the perfect item for them. Shopping for the home should be exciting, and we’re the team that makes that happen.
The Frontend Infrastructure team develops the foundation systems that enable teams to reliably build and deliver quality user interfaces. We collaborate with the Site Reliability and Developer Platforms teams in Infrastructure Engineering, as well as the Frontend Framework and Design Systems teams in Storefront, to innovate on our frontend platform, and create an environment in which developers can build delightful user interfaces for our customers.
We are looking for an experienced engineering leader to manage a team of high-performing engineers that build Wayfair’s frontend development platform. Responsibilities include mentoring and training engineers, building a strong team through effective hiring, developing the team’s roadmap and quarterly objectives, coaching technical architects to develop the long-term vision for the frontend platform, and working with software and infrastructure stakeholders across the engineering organization.
What You’ll Do
- Lead a team of 5-7 software engineers, including senior engineers and architects
- Be the Frontend Infrastructure manager and team lead, responsible for developing the roadmap and priorities for the future of our frontend platform, and being the point of contact for the team
- Identify and deliver solutions that push the boundaries of our UI infrastructure stack to achieve platform and business goals
- Build a strong team with capable leadership through effective hiring, on boarding, retention, and continuous improvement
- Work closely with the other Frontend Core teams to expand the capabilities of our UI platform
- React.js SSR with Node.js: Server-side rendering is important for both performance and search engine discoverability. The Frontend Infrastructure team built our largest customer-facing Node.js service which handles React.js server-side rendering, offering GraphQL support and communicating with our application server via websockets.
How You’ll Make an Impact:
- Help make decisions that influence how customers shop at Wayfair
- Lead a team writing code that is seen by millions of customers a day
- Be a part of the team that is leading the market in delivering the most delightful customer online shopping experience for home furnishings in a quickly changing landscape
Who you are:
- A graduate of a computer science or engineering related degree program with 2+ years of relevant industry experience, OR have 4+ years of equivalent industry experience
- Proficient design production systems at scale
- Experience in a tech lead or management role