With TransferWise in London - GBMore jobs from TransferWise
Posted on November 07, 2019
About this job
Location options: Visa sponsor, Paid relocation
Job type: Full-time
Experience level: Senior, Lead
Role: System Administrator
Industry: Financial Services, Financial Technology, Information Technology
Company size: 1k–5k people
Company type: VC Funded
java, amazon-web-services, kubernetes, continuous-integration, infrastructure-as-a-code, sysadmin
Principal Engineer - Reliability Engineering
Platform at TransferWise designs, builds and operates the foundation technologies that power a product that moves £4bn every month. Platform is organised around technical domains and disciplines - areas like public cloud, data engineering, engineering productivity tooling (ci/cd), automation frameworks, observability, Kubernetes etc. These domains allow teams to become experts in their particular area but also maintain strong shared ownership and vision. This is a unique opportunity to bring your ideas and expertise to one of the fastest-growing tech companies in Europe.
Principal Engineers are the most senior engineers in our team. Principal Engineers take on and implement complex technology and product projects in parallel with second to none understanding across our stack. They have extensive industry experience and are often recognised as being industry experts in their chosen fields. A key part of there role is coaching other senior engineers on design and implementation and being on the forefront of major architecture and product initiatives. Our Principles helps team across engineering make technical decisions (by making them if needed) and have excellent stakeholder manager and general communication skills.
Sounds like you?
We are looking for a Principal Engineer for our Reliability team. This team operates as a squad and guild with a focus on efficiency, security, performance, scalability and of course reliability. Be it extending our platform with new capabilities, embedding with product teams on redesigns our leading cross team initiatives to improve our non-functional capabilities. Our principles are equally happy working in infrastructure foundation technologies or contributing to product code base. Even more importantly our principles spend a great deal of time on hiring. They are the cultural flag bearer and push the bar on what good looks like from hiring, hiring and mentoring perspective.
Still sounds like you?
- With a high level of autonomy, you’ll work closely with your engineers, to make both product and project decisions.
- Working with others in platform and the broader engineering teams on a shared platform vision.
- Prioritise carefully against the internal needs of the platform team, against that of 30+ product teams trying to achieve the mission
This role will give you the opportunity to:
- Choose your own path to success - you’ll have the freedom to define your roadmap and responsibility for making it happen
- Be flexible in how and where you work, we understand everyone needs a little something different so we’ll do our best to make it happen
- Inspire teams with your ideas, knowledge and self-starter attitude
- Travel to work with our teams in London, Budapest, Tallinn and Singapore.
- Experience with building out scalable and automated Cloud platforms on preferably AWS, OpenStack using containerisation technology etc
- Experience at scale, both technical and organizational.
- Experience in infrastructure automation tools (Ansible/Puppet/Chef)
- Excellent knowledge of relational (RDBMS) and NoSQL databases
- Will not settle at all for downtime and outages, do not want to be woken up in the middle of the night
- Ownership of mission-critical shared infrastructure - run, maintain and schedule upgrades
- Isolation of environments and work with various engineering teams to figure out how to best suit their needs
- Sees failover and DR events as something that needs to happen with regularity and should be seamless
- Experience with languages such as Java, Groovy, Python, Go, Scala etc
- Expert knowledge on architectural concepts such as microservices, service mesh, lambda programming
- Proven experience leading scaling products and coaching engineers.
- Self directing and prioritizing and used to working with technical and business leaders as well as other principles.