Java Software Engineer - Personalization
With trivago N.V. in Düsseldorf - DEMore jobs from trivago N.V.
Posted on November 29, 2019
About this job
Location options: Paid relocation
Job type: Full-time
Experience level: Mid-Level
Industry: Data Science, Software Development, Software Development / Engineering
Company size: 1k–5k people
Company type: Public
java, spring-boot, kubernetes, nosql, kafka
"I want a hotel with nightlife, an infinity pool, gourmet food, a sparkling clean room, and a balcony with a view of the ocean."
This statement exemplifies the types of desires our users have on trivago and our User Profiling team is responsible for knowing and processing what these desires are. This understanding is essential for the optimization of every part of the user's journey on our platform.
Working in User Profiling, you'll have the opportunity to take on this challenge from multiple angles in order to enrich our understanding of our users. You might find yourself working on anything from understanding natural language search queries from the moment users land on trivago and begin to type, to dynamically personalising their hotel search results in near-real time, or even helping users to discover hotels that offer amenities as exciting as an infinity pool.
The User Profiling team consists of 25 passionate software engineers, site reliability engineers, data scientists, data analysts, QA engineers and project managers. We work in a dynamic setup with interdisciplinary teams focused on the backend of search and personalization functionality.
Does predicting the travel desires of millions of trivago users sound exciting? If so, then this is the right position for you ? read on and apply today!
Get an inside look into tech at trivago:
What you'll do:
- Provide 4 million daily visitors with their ideal hotel through personalization.
- Contribute to key architecture decisions affecting multiple teams.
- Build innovative features while writing clean, composable, and testable code.
- Combine different technologies to design and implement efficient and high performing data-intensive systems.
- Be creative, challenge yourself and spread the word: Contribute back to open source projects or open-source something yourself.
- Elevate the output of a cross-functional team by facilitating communication between data
- scientists, software engineers, project managers, and other passionate experts.
What you'll definitely need:
- An academic degree in the field of Computer Science or relevant experience developing large applications.
- At least 3 years of experience in software development, ideally in a high-performance web environment.
- Experienced in Java with in-depth knowledge of the language internals esp. around the topics of Garbage Collection, Memory and Threading.
- The ability to break down large goals and design solutions into actionable steps with maintainability as a priority.
- Enthusiasm for sharing knowledge with other people in and outside the team.
- A strong understanding of English, our official company language.
What we'd love you to have:
- Previous experience with AWS or GCP.
- A solid understanding of distributed systems and their principles such as reliability, scalability, and resilience.
- A passion for good development practices like test automation, CI/CD, source version control, documentation etc.
- Good experience with Python.
What you can expect from life at trivago:
- Growth: We help you grow as trivago grows through support for personal and professional development, constant new challenges, regular peer-feedback, mentorship and world-class training.
- Autonomy: Every talent has the ability to make an impact independently by driving topics thanks to our strong entrepreneurial mindset, our horizontal workflow and self-determined working hours.
- International environment: Our agile, international culture and environment with talents from 50+ nations encourages mutual trust and creates a safe space to discuss openly and act freely.
- Collaborative spaces: Our state-of-the-art campus in Düsseldorf offers interactive spaces where we can easily collaborate, exchange ideas, take a break and workout together.
- Relocation: We offer our international talents support with relocation costs, work permit and visa questions, free language classes, subsidies for public transport, flat search, company pension and insurance.
- Tech Culture: A conference budget plus internal workshops, guilds, meet-ups and academies, as well as a MacBook Pro 15", a 30" wide-screen display, an adjustable desk, and a pair of Bose QuietComfort headphones for your time in the zone.
- trivago N.V. is proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better product for our users.
- To find out more about life at trivago follow us on social media @lifeattrivago.
- To learn more about tech at trivago, check out our blog: https://tech.trivago.com
- Want to learn more about trivago's business model to prepare for your interview? Visit https://company.trivago.com/our-product