Cloud DBA Specialist (Oracle/MySQL/PostgresSQL)
With William Hill in Leeds - GBMore jobs from William Hill
Posted on January 09, 2020
About this job
Job type: Full-time
Experience level: Mid-Level
Role: Database Administrator, System Administrator
Industry: Gambling, Gaming, Information Technology
Company size: 10k+ people
Company type: Private
sql, mysql, amazon-web-services, oracle, postgresql, sysadmin
With over 16,000 people worldwide, we make a huge investment in everyone, offering great career development opportunities. Our people are at the heart of everything we do and we offer a fast-paced environment where we have fun, celebrate success and give you all the tools you’ll need to be your best self. It’s not just our colleagues we look after – we’ve got a responsibility to our customers too and we work hard on our ambition that nobody is harmed by gambling.
Your role in the team
You’ll sit within a central database team reporting to the senior cloud specialist. You will assist the channels/business units in migrating their existing on-premise databases into the AWS public cloud and providing ongoing support for those databases once they have been migrated. You will also be responsible for helping to maintain any databases that will remain on premise. Your other tasks will include:
- Providing guidance on schema design.
- Proactive and reactive performance tuning.
- Proactive and reactive cost optimisation for databases in the AWS public cloud.
- Configuration and testing of effective database monitoring.
- Creating and configuring the archival of old data.
- Security and controlling user access to the databases.
- A desire to master the support and configuration of databases in the cloud.
- To pick up new skills in the ever changing world of IT and be responsible and capable to self-teach when required.
- Previous experience with 2 or more database technologies (ideally these will include one of the following MySQL, SQL Server and PostgreSQL).
- Good scripting skills and the ability to produce repeatable, safe code either in SQL, bash or another language such as python.
- Some IT certifications, or evidence that you have done web-based training off your own initiative to improve your database skills.
What we offer
We’ll welcome you on-board with 25 days holiday (not to mention 8 bank holidays and an extra day for your birthday), a rewarding bonus scheme, healthcare, an attractive pension package, healthy gym discounts and a staff benefits scheme. Plus, our season ticket loan and handy Metro Card loan will save you money getting to work and getting around town. And if you see the journey to work as part of your fitness regime, you’ll just love our Cycle to Work scheme.
William Hill in Leeds
Right in the middle of the creative heart of the UK sit both of our Leeds offices. Leeds itself is a buzzy, busy place to work and live. A hub for tech, digital and gaming companies – there’s also five universities right on our doorstep. And away from work, we’re in the heart of the Yorkshire Dales and of course have got a competitive sports scene with Leeds United and Yorkshire Cricket and Rugby just up the road in Headingley.
Join us #behindthebet