Senior Security Researcher
With F-Secure in London - GBMore jobs from F-Secure
Posted on February 12, 2020
About this job
Job type: Full-time
Experience level: Senior
Role: System Administrator
Industry: Cybersecurity, IT Security, Security Software
Company size: 1k–5k people
Company type: Public
amazon-web-services, reverse-engineering, c, c++, powershell, sysadmin
F-Secure is a world-renowned cyber security company with a diverse portfolio of products and services, from award-winning endpoint protection solutions and consumer security products, all the way to world-class cyber security consulting services and managed detection and response services. Put simply, we protect both private citizens, and the critical businesses and governments that they depend upon, from cyber threats.
F-Secure Countercept is our managed detection and response (MDR) service. Our mission is to protect our clients from advanced, targeted cyber-attacks. We do this by having a world-class team of threat hunters, incident responders and researchers. We do this by testing ourselves with attacks from our own red teams. We do this by building the best technology we can to support the great people that we have. The end result? We have an exceptional track record of successfully protecting our clients from attacks by both serious organised crime groups and nation state attackers.
One of the coolest things about F-Secure is working with true leaders in the field of cyber-security. We are pioneering in many areas and, for almost any aspect of cyber-security you can think of, you will be able to find someone who is an expert in it. If you are deeply passionate about cyber-security and want to be surrounded by people you can learn from, then you will love it here.
What we need…
We need a security researcher to join our research and intelligence team to help us drive forward innovations that improve our ability to detect and respond to advanced cyber-attacks. We are especially interested in people that can help us drive forward detection and response techniques for cloud-native services in AWS and Azure, not just in the traditional EDR space.
As a security researcher we would like you to:
Drive the capability of Countercept forward (both the team and product capabilities) by conducting novel research and identifying techniques to enhance detection and response
Promote Countercept’s capabilities to our clients and the industry through the research that you conduct
In order to achieve these goals, your role will likely involve activities such as the following:
Conduct and manage both short-term and long-term research projects, which may include:
- Identifying current and future attack techniques to ‘generate hypotheses’ for hunting and drive product innovation
- Identifying novel techniques to contain a live attack in action
- Conducting offensive activities to bypass the Countercept infrastructure and the appropriate mitigations to enhance the service
- Performing ‘reactive research’ based on public incidents (e.g. when major new vulnerabilities, tools or attacks are released)
- Present regularly at external security conferences and F-Secure events
- Public articles, whitepapers and blog posts on the F-Secure website
Raise your own personal profile as a researcher within the industry
Work very closely with our threat hunters, incident responders and software engineers to ensure that the benefits of your research end up as operational improvements
Directly develop new software prototypes and make improvements to software components that make up our existing tech stack
Detailed knowledge of offensive techniques used across the entire cyber kill chain
x86/x64 reverse engineering techniques
Strong coding skills in for development of proof-of-concept offensive and defensive prototypes e.g. C/C++, C#, Powershell, Python
Experience using machine learning techniques to solve real-world problems
Familiarity with common techniques used by malware and attack frameworks to obfuscate themselves and otherwise avoid detection
Experience using threat hunting techniques to detect targeted attacks
Familiarity with common AWS and Azure services and security issues facing them
Our four promises to you…
- Freedom – you will have the opportunity to define new ways of working how we engage with our customers, and how product value gets represented
- You will work together with experienced and enthusiastic colleagues, and within F-Secure you'll find some of the best minds in the cyber security industry
- Your work will be clearly visible and recognised – all over the world and across our business units
- You can rely on the support from the entire F-Secure leadership including our top executives
You can’t design culture!
The F-Secure team is diverse, fluid, fun-loving, and full of energy. It’s our job to preserve that, so we’ve made it our business to help individuals traverse from passion to passion, from specialism to specialism, from the flavor of today to that of tomorrow. We move with their needs, and help them build pathways, always focusing on the things that make them happy in and beyond of the office.