Principal Ops Engineer
With Bulb Energy in London - GBMore jobs from Bulb Energy
Posted on February 13, 2020
About this job
Compensation: £95k - 120k | Equity
Location options: Visa sponsor, Paid relocation
Job type: Full-time
Experience level: Lead
Industry: Energy & Utilities, Green Energy
Company size: 501–1k people
Company type: Private
python, google-cloud-platform, terraform, kubernetes
About the team
Bulb is here to help our members cut their energy bills and reduce their carbon emissions. Our product teams make that happen. We’re developing products that will deliver the future of energy - from using AI to read energy meters, to making carbon offsetting fun and simple, from finding out how to get the most from Smart Meter data to helping people get paid for their solar energy. We also power the sign-up journey that helped us become the fastest growing company in the UK last year and the internal tools that let us deliver an excellent Trust Pilot score.
We work in project-based sprints in integrated teams and encourage an open and transparent working environment.
You'll spend your time
- Leading the technical team that will take over building and managing Bulb’s infrastructure
- Moving our infrastructure into a fully-orchestrated, infrastructure-as-code world
- Building and documenting self-service tools that enable product teams to work independently, and finding new opportunities to enable and support those teams
- Improving tooling for build and deploy processes, automated testing, and security
- Helping to manage and integrate SaaS tools on both the production and business sides
- Promoting good engineering practices across our development teams, including effective engineering estimation, decision making, and risk management, good incident response processes, and thoughtful incident reviews
- 8-12 years work experience in operations and system administration
- Experience building continuous integration and infrastructure-as-code environments, including multi-region failover, zero-downtime deployments, failure injection, artifact repositories, etc.
- Understand how to design for observability and reliability
- Familiar with cloud platforms (GCP and AWS) and management tooling (including Kubernetes, Terraform, Istio, Chef Inspec, Splunk, etc.)
- Software development experience, ideally in Python or Node
- Comfort with and experienced in defining roadmaps and owning your team’s project prioritization and backlog, and with the trade-offs inherent in a rapidly-changing technical environment
- Ability to work as part of our engineering on-call rotation
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Be part of a growing technology startup and help shape the future of energy.
- Training budget of £1000 a year, plus five working days to spend on professional or personal development. You can use this for training courses, books or conferences.
- 33 days holiday a year (including bank holidays) and the option to buy up to 5 more.
- After a year at Bulb, you can take an additional month of unpaid leave to travel, work on personal projects or simply to recharge and reboot.
- 12 weeks of full pay for maternity, paternity or adoption leave.
- Every team member has the option to buy shares in Bulb at a later date, at a discounted price. We all own a bit of Bulb.
- Activities to improve your mental and physical well being including office yoga and meditation.
- Private health care with Vitality
- Pension plan with employer contributions, and a cycle to work scheme.