Senior Linux DevOps Engineer
With Apple in Culver City CA USMore jobs from Apple
Posted on March 20, 2020
About this job
Job type: Full-time
Role: DevOps, System Administrator
linux, sysadmin, networking
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, phenomenal ideas have a way of becoming great products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. The Edge Services Retail Engineering team is looking for a Linux DevOps engineer with extraordinary interpersonal skills who is self motivated about improving existing systems, and also passionate about solving complex business problems. You will work with a small, tight-knit team of fun, creative and hardworking engineers. The group’s charter is to deliver excellent platform experiences and reliable network services to the nearly 500 million people that visit Apple’s 510+ retail stores worldwide, including store employees. This work involves leading global deployments for Linux based servers, supporting virtualized computing environments that run content caching services (CDN), software based routers/firewalls, virtual DNS appliances, DHCP and other critical services. A strong background in hardware/operating system performance tuning/optimization, networking, servers and components, and system level debugging is important to success in this role. Excellent communication skills and being a collaborative team player are strong requirements to be productive.
As a Senior Engineer deeply familiar with the Linux operating system stack with some development skills, you will play a key role in a team running critical services such as software defined virtual network routers and firewalls running on x86 compute platforms, DNS, DHCP, and Content Delivery Networks / CDN at Apple retail stores and beyond. The role will involve evaluating business requirements, implementing solutions, automating of workflows, maintaining servers, tuning performance, implementing server monitoring, and performing other traditional UNIX server sysadmin tasks such as security, troubleshooting, preventative maintenance, and SSL cert management. You will have autonomy to motivate changes in accordance with our change management practices, and participate in the implementation of new solutions into production with minimal impact to operations. You will also be collaborating and coordinating with other internal business groups and external partners.
Skills & requirements
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills is a requirement
- Minimum of 8 years of production experience as a Linux/UNIX systems administrator in a lead role
- Deep understanding of Linux (any distro, but especially RHEL) utilities and programs
- Expertise related to DevOps engineering including version control systems (Git, GitHub), automated testing (Jenkins) and build systems, configuration management (e.g. Puppet, SALT, Ansible)
- You possess release engineering experience in an automated environment (CD): building S/W from source though CI to publishing packages
- Experience with Linux based server virtualization (KVM, containers)
- Experience with enterprise-grade hardware platforms - x86-based, particularly HP/HPE
- Mid-level (5+ years) experience with Python
- Good to have: 2+ years experience with Go
- Strong debugging skills a must.
- Mid-level experience of IP networking and troubleshooting routed IP networks.
- Experience with DHCP in a routed network, DNS
- You have experience implementing IPv6
- Knowledge of hardware and tuning performance to meet specific performance goals is a plus.
- Shown knowledge of the operating system networking stack, TCP/IP, Linux bridges and network interface drivers is highly desired
Bachelors or MS in Computer Science or related field or 8+ years of experience in lieu of degree