With Starling Bank in London - GBMore jobs from Starling Bank
Posted on May 20, 2020
About this job
Job type: Full-time
Experience level: Mid-Level, Senior
Role: DevOps, System Administrator
Industry: Banking, Financial Technology, Mobile
Company size: 501–1k people
Company type: Private
amazon-web-services, cloud, sysadmin
Starling engineers love building things, creating new stuff, learning new technologies and working with others across all areas of the business to bring brilliant products and features to life. We’re open-minded when it comes to hiring and we care more about aptitude and attitude than specific experience or qualifications. If you care enough to find elegant solutions to difficult technical problems, we’d love to hear from you.
We are very open about how we deliver software - have a look at our QCon presentations or engineering podcaststo see what our developers have been up to. You can also try coding against your own bank account with us using our open APIs (see the developer site)
As an Infrastructure Engineer at Starling, you’ll be building and supporting infrastructure that spans across AWS, Google Cloud and our physical data centres to support our internal operations and interfacing with our software engineering teams to deliver the infrastructure that drives our business.
Duties of the role will entail:
- Working with functional delivery teams to translate business requirements into technical implementations
- Designing and building patterns and frameworks to be used by engineering teams
- Taking ownership of projects and ensuring timely delivery
- Providing escalation assistance to engineering teams
- Diagnosing system and network failures under pressure
- Keeping abreast of new technologies and changes in the industry
- On-call duties approximately one week in six
What we would like from you:
- Thorough understanding of data centre network technologies (HA clustered firewalls; switching concepts - VLANs, STP, LACP; routing protocols - BGP).
- Strong understanding of TCP/IP networking and experience with monitoring, network diagnostic and network analytics tools.
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code and infrastructure provisioning tools (Cloudformation, Terraform).
- In-depth knowledge of AWS and/or GCP cloud services
- 33 days holiday (including public hols). You’ll also get your birthday on us.
- 16 hours paid volunteering time a year
- Private Medical Insurance with VitalityHealth
- Contributory pension scheme
- Friday breakfast - bacon and egg rolls to vegan sausage butties.
- Our kitchens are stocked with fresh fruit and a range of hot and soft drinks.
- We have many varied social groups set up and run by our employees - ForTheWin (a gaming group), Starling FC, book club and many more!
- Discounts on cinema tickets, restaurants, shopping and train tickets via a Perkbox membership
- Access to ‘salary sacrifice’ benefits such as Cycle to Work scheme
- Gym membership options
Full details are available on our careers site