Storage Hardware Engineer- Apple
With Apple in Cupertino CA USMore jobs from Apple
Posted on June 23, 2020
About this job
Job type: Full-time
Role: System Administrator
Industry: Consumer Electronics
Company size: 10k+ people
Company type: Public
sysadmin, linux, design
A central role in the definition, design, production, and qualification of Apple’s next generation standard and storage server platforms. As a key member of our hardware team, you will have the outstanding and great opportunity to be on the groundbreaking of crafting customized platforms that fit within Apple’s future application and datacenter environments. These platforms are the bedrock of the internet services that will delight and inspire millions of Apple’s customers every day.
Storage Subsystem HW Lead : Hardware Storage Engineer that provides engineering guidance on Server Storage Platforms used on Hyperscale data center environments Storage Server Architecture : Responsible for defining the detailed storage subsystem design requirements, specifications, and functional requirements for future IS storage server platforms and components. Key doer within Apple’s Internet Services and IT teams for Storage Hardware subsystems. Maintains familiarity with industry technology and trends, assessing areas that could be intercepted into future designs. Responsible for defining storage subsystem power, management, and control interfaces within the IS storage platforms to ensure multi-sourcing among vendors. Work closely with the IS Advanced technology team to integrate approved storage technologies into hardware designs. Accountable for defining key firmware function and capabilities for Storage components. Works closely with System Design partners to review storage subsystem layout/schematics to ensure industry standard methodologies are followed. Responsible for engaging with Internal Application teams on next generation storage software frameworks by providing guidance on Storage subsystem capabilities. Partner with the Engineering Hardware Tech to test, evaluate storage hardware platforms. Electrical HW Storage point of contact during issue debug and root cause analysis. Must have knowledge in the areas of Rotational Vibration Interference and Thermals for Storage devices in Storage servers. Proven understanding on profiling and characterizing storage subsystem utilization by using industry standard test frameworks and sophisticated knowledge of storage applications. Collaborates with key technology suppliers to understand and provide recommendations on roadmaps, capabilities, benefits, etc. Integrates Industry standard methodologies into IS Hardware designs. Industry presence and involvement in hardware initiatives within the industry such as Open Compute/Open 19. We're looking for a hardworking and passionate person to join this amazing team, if you feel this is you, we'd love to hear from you.
Skills & requirements
- 10+ years of storage server hardware designs
- Advanced experience and skill with SAS / SATA / NVMe protocols and analyzers
- Sophisticated experience with PCIe and SAS/SATA bus layout for PCB/A design
- Extensive understanding of PCB layout rules/constraints/ for SAS/SATA bus
- Preferred experience in 2P Intel Motherboard architecture and design
- Experience with CMR, SMR, and Dual-Actuator Hard Drive technologies
- Experience with Storage devices including Host Bus Adapters and Storage media
- Experience working with ODM/OEMs in designing and validating Storage products
- Experience using High speed Protocol Analyzers to debug Storage protocol errors.
- Experience writing and reviewing Storage hardware requirements documents
- Experience writing and reviewing Storage Validation and Test Specifications
- Experience with qualification of Storage media including SATA HDDs and NVMe
- Experience with troubleshooting of Storage components’ firmware problems.
- Experience working with Server System BIOS and BMC firmware engineers
- Experience with hyper-scale/scale-out storage server designs and associated cost savings, feature optimizations
- Experience profiling high drive count storage sub-systems is a must.
- Experience with Linux operating systems, filesystems, data protection algorithms, libraries for CMR/SMR drives.
- Familiarity and experience with Open Hardware designs such as Open Compute and Open 19” are a plus
BS in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or related technical fields.