Principal Software Architect
With Ultimate Software in Atlanta GA USMore jobs from Ultimate Software
Posted on July 02, 2020
About this job
Job type: Full-time
Experience level: Senior, Lead
Role: Backend Developer
Industry: Computer Software, Human Resources, Software Development
Company size: 10k+ people
Company type: Private
Ultimate Software is looking to hire Lead Software architects to lead and mentor software architects and technical leads in designing and delivering scalable, resilient, adaptable, performant, and cloud-native services. This person will serve as a member of the Development organization and the Software Architecture community, with oversight on projects focused on design, integration and technical strategies that will help establish the technical vision for the future scale of Ultimate Software. They will establish the starting point for architectural decisions, patterns and practices, and enterprise architecture scale and efficiencies that will shape how software development and technology adoption will evolve at Ultimate. As a technical leader in the Development organization, this person will be responsible for leading a team of architects, and technical leads, and will partner with Product Owners and Engineering Owners towards successful analysis, planning, design, and delivery of the solutions.
Primary/Essential Duties and Key Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with Development Senior Leadership in defining and understanding the business requirements tied to imperative business strategic goals.
- Lead a group of Architects and technical leads towards the evolution and implementation of Ultimate Software’s product and technical strategy.
- Serve as Technical Ambassadors of goodwill for our internal Technical Community as well as the external Tech Industry and Academia communities.
- Partner with Product Owners, Engineering Owners when making roadmap, design, architectural, and engineering impacting decisions.
- Lead the team to effectively communicate and present the architectural decisions and technical strategies so that development teams properly understand why the strategies need to be adopted.
- Lead the team in development of architectural significant proofs-of-concept solutions, to assist development teams in accelerating the adoption of the technical strategy.
- Lead the team to develop and maintain a set of incubated coded libraries and components in inner-sourced repositories.
- Lead the team to serve as technical strategic advisors to research work being executed in the Development organization.
- Lead the team to build and maintain critical partnership and collaborative work with the external technical industry, open source communities, and academia.
- Lead the team to speak on large stages, conferences, and events in order to communicate Ultimate’s technology story.
- Lead the team to prepare and publish materials for the submission of patents, as needed.
- 10+ years of Software Architecture and Software Development experience.
- 8+ years of technical leadership and architecture experience in software and cloud development (ideally in PaaS and SaaS)
- 8+ years’ experience designing and delivering large scale distributed systems
- 5+ years experience building, managing, and leading architects and technical leads
- Expert understanding of security, reliability, scalability, high availability, and concurrency architectural patterns and solutions.
- Expert in solution design across the full technology stack, including for public and hybrid cloud deployments.
- Expert in patterns and solutions that enable evolutionary architectures, leveraging flexibility and creativity when balancing the present technologies with emerging ones when formulating new strategies.
- Influential speaker and an expert in designing and delivering presentations on large stages, including technical keynotes.
- Prior experience with at least one major IaaS and/or PaaS technology (OpenStack, AWS, GCP, Azure, Kubernetes, Cloud Foundry, etc.)
- Prior experience with relational and non-relational database technologies (MySQL, MongoDB, Cassandra)
- Prior experience with messaging and event streaming solutions (Kafka, RabbitMQ, Kafka Streams, Spark)
- Prior experience with agile development, Continuous Delivery, DevOps, and SRE practices
- Strong understanding of infrastructure and related technologies (compute, storage, networking)
- Proficient in at least one static OO language (Java, Scala, C#)
- Proficient in at least one web application framework (Angular, React)
- Proficient in at least one mobile application framework (Apple xCode, Swift, Android Studio, Ionic)
- Proficient in current development tools (Github, Gitlab, CLI, Vim, Jetbrains, Xamarin, Visual Studio, Concourse.ci, CircleCI, Jenkins )
- Bachelors or Masters in Science with a specialization in Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, or Engineering is required.
Check out how we give our employees the chance to work on whatever project they want for 48 hours! https://youtu.be/2Aw55CP1IO8
Typical Interview Process:
- If your application is selected, a Talent Acquisition Team Member will reach out to schedule a phone screen with them.
- If selected to move forward, you will complete a HackerRank Coding Assessment.
- If you pass, you will either move forward to a technical phone call for an additional screening, OR directly to an onsite interview.
- Offer stage.