Apple Podcasts - Big Data Software Engineer
With Apple in London - GBMore jobs from Apple
Posted on July 25, 2020
About this job
Job type: Full-time
Industry: Consumer Electronics
Company size: 10k+ people
Company type: Public
scala, java, redis
Podcasting was born on iPod, and this team’s work has led the category ever since. Today, podcasts are a worldwide phenomenon, and these engineers continue to evolve the Apple Podcasts app and ecosystem across all our devices. And for podcast creators, networks, and advertisers, the team created Podcast Analytics, which gives insights into completion rates and subscription data for their listeners worldwide. A strong machine learning focus helps the team improve search and recommendations, so listeners can easily discover podcasts they’ll love from well over a half million offered. As podcast fans themselves, these engineers love shaping a medium that’s just begun to show its potential to entertain, inform, and inspire. That passion is just one reason why Apple Podcasts remains the world’s most popular podcast app, giving this small team a huge influence on the industry. Join them and make some impact of your own. Areas of work include macOS/iOS Engineering, Full-Stack Engineering, Front-End Engineering, Back-End Engineering, Quality Engineering, Machine Learning Engineering, Data Science, Data Engineering, Site Reliability Engineering, and Engineering Project Management.
The Apple Media Products Data Engineering team is looking for great engineers. We are looking for the very best people to build and positively improve features and services driving the iTunes Store, App Store and Apple Music. Our team is responsible for many of the key systems powering personalisation features of the AMP ecosystem. This includes features such as ratings & reviews, purchase history, sync services and many more. Here you have a phenomenal opportunity to help build and evolve global-scale, leading-edge dynamic data systems, with positions currently available as we grow our amazing London team. Our work covers the full stack, from: internet-facing web services, internal services using various flavours of RPC; design and implementation of data pipelines/life-cycles (Kafka); Hadoop infrastructure, strategy and implementation; distributed key-value storage (Voldemort, Cassandra, Redis, etc); and putting all this together to operate live customer-facing features with millisecond-latencies across multiple data centres with petabyte datasets and > 2 billion users. We promote innovation and new technology to further improve our creative output. If you’re an all round and performance-savvy Java server engineer with an interest in, and experience of, large scale Data technologies and systems at an unprecedented scale we’d love to hear from you.
Skills & requirements
- Significant experience in crafting, implementing and supporting highly scalable systems and services in Java or Scala
- Experience in two or more Big Data areas is helpful — see Additional Requirements below for examples
Bachelors or equivalent in Computer Science or related discipline
- Experience building and/or using distributed systems, distributed caching, distributed key-value or column stores (e.g. Cassandra, Voldemort, Redis)
- A deep understanding of eventual consistency concepts
- Experience with and understanding of Hadoop-ecosystem technologies such as MapReduce, Spark, YARN/MR2, etc
- Experience in building and running best in class large scale data pipelines, using Kafka, with data ingest to/from multiple sources feeding batch compute components via HDFS and near-realtime components via online key-value storage
- Experience and interest in data modelling and data architecture as optimised for large data patterns (warehousing concepts; efficient storage and query on HDFS; support for relevant realtime query patterns in key-value stores; columnar schema design; etc.)
- A deep understanding of real time advanced analytics fundamentals and associated stream processing tools and techniques is a plus
- Passion for customer satisfaction and strong focus on customer privacy
- Experience with Scala would be an advantage
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.