Apple Cloud Services - Site Reliability Engineer (SRE)
With Apple in London - GBMore jobs from Apple
Posted on July 29, 2020
About this job
Job type: Full-time
Role: System Administrator
Industry: Consumer Electronics
Company size: 10k+ people
Company type: Public
cloud, linux, sysadmin
People at Apple don’t just build products — they craft the kind of experience that have revolutionized entire industries. The diverse collection of our people and their ideas encourage innovation in everything we do. Imagine what you could do here! Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it. The Apple Cloud Services (ACS) team builds and provides systems and infrastructure that fuel Apple’s services (such as iCloud, iTunes, Siri, and Maps). We are the foundation on which Apple’s software developers build the products that our customers love. We are looking for passionate and hardworking Site Reliability Engineers to continue our focus in providing our customers the highest quality Apple Services experience. Our services have to scale globally, stay highly available, and "just work.” If you love designing, engineering and running systems and infrastructure that will help millions of customers, then this is the place for you!
Apple Cloud Services infrastructure is BIG. Operating at our scale, across multiple geographically dispersed data centers and servicing hundreds of millions of users presents unique challenges. As an SRE at Apple, you'll need to solve these problems using data, teamwork, and your own expertise. SREs at Apple own the full infrastructure stack; from device driver performance debugging to content delivery network traffic management — our responsibilities are both broad and deep. ACS runs the majority of its systems on Linux. We run a mix of open source, vendor licensed, and internally developed tools to perform functions such as system configuration management, provisioning, software deployment, logging, and monitoring. You'll learn these tools and have opportunities to improve them. Our team is collaborative; we work closely with the development teams we support to deliver the best results for Apple. We believe critically and strive to balance the best solution with the need to get things done for each engineering challenge we face. Good ideas are heard and results are rewarded.
Skills & requirements
- Strong sense of ownership and integrity demonstrated through clear communication and collaboration.
- Experience in managing and scaling distributed systems in a public, private, or hybrid cloud environment.
- The ability to design, author, and release code in languages like Go, Python, Ruby or Java.
- Acute drive to automate manual operations and to improve them through repeated iteration.
- Understanding of the Linux Operating System, standard networking protocols, and components.
- Hands-on experience managing large numbers of diverse systems with configuration management or software delivery platforms (such as Puppet, Chef, Ansible, and Spinnaker).
- Experience with deploying, supporting and supervising new and existing services, platforms, and application stacks.
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem solving skills.
- Experience with scale testing, disaster recovery, and capacity planning.
- Familiarity with microservices architecture and container orchestration with Kubernetes.
• BS/MS in Computer Science or Equivalent (software development or production operations experience in a largescale environment).
- • This role may require occasional international travel/transatlantic travel.
- Apple’s most important resource, our soul, is our people. Apple benefits help further the well-being of our employees and their families in meaningful ways. No matter where you work at Apple, you can take advantage of our health and wellness resources and time-away programmes. We’re proud to provide stock grants to employees at all levels of the company, and we also give employees the option to buy Apple stock at a discount — both offer everyone at Apple the chance to share in the company’s success. You’ll discover many more benefits of working at Apple, such as programmes that match your charitable contributions, reimburse you for continuing your education and give you special employee pricing on Apple products.
- Apple benefits programmes vary by country and are subject to eligibility requirements.
- Apple is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, Veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. Apple is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities.