Principal System Engineer (Dev Ops)
With Backbase in Amsterdam - NLMore jobs from Backbase
Posted on July 30, 2020
About this job
Job type: Full-time
Experience level: Senior
Role: DevOps, System Administrator
Industry: Agile Software Development, Banking, Financial Technology
Company size: 501–1k people
Company type: Private
cloud, java, amazon-web-services, devops, kubernetes
The Job in short
As a Principal System Engineer you’ll get a chance to contribute to building an enterprise-grade SaaS platform (Backbase as a Service) from scratch and maintaining it. As part of the BaaS team, you'll be expected to lay down the foundation of a highly secure, robust platform and related processes to ensure our software runs smoothly in production as well as making sure it complies with industry standards.
Meet the job
The Backbase as a Service tribe is continuously busy with improving their product with the motto "You build it, you run it". Striving to have the highest possible uptime, great performance and best in class levels of security. That's quite an ambition and you can't get there without an automation-first approach. We pride ourselves on the fact that we don't do manual changes in production and that we automatically validate our environment before deploying.
As a Principal System Engineer you design things but you also build them. You're part of the development team and will help lift the product to the next level. Your day to day job will consist of working on the Infrastructure as Code for Backbase as a Service either by contributing PR's yourself or by reviewing the work of others. You'll also get a chance to actively participate in the refining of the architecture as decisions are taken by the team. For our customers that are already running in production you will also be on call (approximately once every six weeks) for which we strive to not trigger any alerts but we'd rather focus on automating responses on events that might happen.
Using your experience you assist in the delivery by being in close contact with our customers (both internal and external) and you help translate their ideas to items on the team backlog. By closely aligning with the Backbase as a Service product manager you help shape the roadmap and manage expectations on the customer's side.
Your growth path within Backbase will allow you to grow from the function of Principal System Engineer to a function as Lead Principal System Engineer in which you can coach colleagues to improve their System Engineering discipline. By coaching colleagues you'll be able to do your work at a larger scale throughout the Backbase organisation improving the system engineering discipline and our product at scale.
How about you
- You have a background in programming, preferably in Java;
- You're not afraid to use CLI based tooling and you have experience in maintaining and troubleshooting Linux based operating systems;
- You don't want to just report the problems but you want to fix them;
- You have strong communication skills allowing you to drive initiatives and decisions inside and outside your team;
- You are experienced with Cloud environments and using desired state configuration to manage this (Terraform is preferred);
- Containerised workloads have no secrets for you;
- You have experience with Kubernetes;
- You have experience working in a regulated environment (SOC2/ISO27001/PCI-DSS);
- You have 3 years of experience in a similar role running workloads on public Cloud;
- AWS Cloud certs are nice to have (SysOps Administrator/ DevOps Engineer).