Cloud and System Engineer
With William Hill in Gibraltar - GIMore jobs from William Hill
Posted on September 15, 2020
About this job
Location options: Visa sponsor, Paid relocation
Job type: Full-time
Experience level: Mid-Level, Senior
Role: System Administrator
Industry: Gambling, Gaming, Information Technology
Company size: 10k+ people
Company type: Private
amazon-web-services, continuous-integration, cloud
We bet we can be a great match
Do you want to work on cutting edge projects focused on online sports betting?? Would you like to work with some of the best Developers, QAs, DevOps Engineers and Project Managers in Gibraltar?
Working with us you’ll be at heart of the technological revolution of one the world’s most trusted betting and gaming companies. We deal with projects ranging from widgets, desktop or mobile betting sites… just to name a few. We process thousands of online Sportsbook bets per second each Saturday, that’s the same as orders processed by Amazon UK, on its busiest day of the year. We deal with more than 20 million users and 160 terabytes of data daily. Impressed? You can be sure there are many more challenges waiting for you.
Your role in the team
As a Cloud and System Engineer based in Gibraltar, you will support our Sportsbook Team in ensuring our infrastructure and applications are running smoothly and errors are fixed. In addition, you will pay a key role in helping us to build and migrate to our new AWS platform. You’ll help us deliver new projects through IT strategic change and will be always looking for ways to automate and deliver an even better service for our people and our customers. All this variety means that no two days are ever the same and there's lots of room for development and exposure to an impressive tech stack.
You'll be reporting to the Cloud & System Engineering Lead and will work closely with the wider System Operations Team and development and infrastructure teams across Krakow, London and Leeds. As a team member you will be part of architecting, implementing, and managing the infrastructure and the software release processes.
You’ll forge strong relationships with William Hill Technology, business colleagues and key stakeholders.
Aligning, communicating and planning infrastructure initiatives in partnership with senior management, peers and Project Management, you’ll work effectively as part of a highly technical and talented William Hill delivery team.
Key responsibilities will include
- Ensuring our infrastructure and applications are highly available at all times (working as part of an on call team)
- Driving our expansion into Amazon Web Services through maintenance and development of our Infrastructure-as-Code approach based on Ansible, Terraform, Docker and Kubernetes.
- All aspects of workload migration into AWS along with Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery
- Being an integral part of our engineering team, automating the application lifecycle through building, testing, staging and deploying by using DevOps and Continuous Delivery/Deployment best practices.
- Developing effective tooling, alerts, and response to identify and address reliability risks of our services.
- Participating in technical discussions about the technical roadmap.
- Keeping up-to-date with the latest tools and features that could help our teams perform even better.
It’s a hands-on role and you won’t ever be sat twiddling your thumbs. We’re looking for a curious, investigative engineer who wants to push forward, faster and smarter, never settling for second best and happy to delve into the detail to find the answers. And if you’re anything like us, you won’t rest until a problem is solved.
With a flexible attitude and an ability to perform under pressure, you’re used to making the extra effort to support teams and end users. You’ll adapt positively and quickly to new technologies and process and be confident in contributing to change proposals and implementation of new ways of working. You will be used to working independently and driven and focused to achieve results, you're able to prioritise tasks and plan and organise effectively. You have an analytical approach and excellent attention to detail, working thoroughly and used to providing clear and detailed documentation. Part of your role will be to manage communication between multiple stakeholders across our business and strong communication and interpersonal skills will be key. You'll be confident translating information, plans and outcomes to both technical and non-technical colleagues.
You will have:
- Strong experience in a similar position, including deployment to public cloud and ideally, AWS - certification such as AWS, Kubernetes would be great)
- Ideally 5+ years Linux System Administration in a complex environment
- A background in automating the management of a data centre environment
- Recent production experience with deployment and administration of containerised services
- Excellent scripting skills (at least bash, python or ruby).
- Experience with configuration management systems.
- Experience with CI/CD infrastructure and pipelines and tools such as: GitLab CI or SonarQube or JFrog Artifactory
- Experience with system monitoring and logging
- A clear understanding of software development life-cycles
- A clear understanding of cloud paradigms (IaaS, CaaS, PaaS, microservice architectures, CI/CD).
- BSC degree or equivalent experience.
In addition, we would love to see practical experience of software development in previous roles such as developers, testers, or the like and hands-on experience with cloud providers and scalable infrastructure, in particular with AWS (EC2, ECS, RDS...). Experience in using CI/CD tools like GitLab CI, Circle CI, Github Actions and infrastructure as code (Terraform, CloudFormation, etc) would be ideal.
What we offer
Your 25 days holiday is topped up by 12 bank holidays and we offer you a generous pension, Healthcare and Life Assurance as standard. Gym discounts, and our office sports and social committee activities could be right up your street. We’ve got an excellent relocation package to support you should you make the move; English is the local language but we can help you and your family with Spanish lessons.
William Hill in Gibraltar
With an average yearly temperature of 25 degrees, this Mediterranean climate has plenty to offer both inside and outside of work. And that includes scaling the impressive Rock of Gibraltar or taking a dip a one of the 6 great beach spots. And with such easy access to Spain, Morocco and Portugal, you can take your pick when it comes to where you spend your weekend.
We offer a friendly, flexible working environment and encourage career development. As we’re a global business, you’ll have colleagues in our overseas offices and may have the chance to travel occasionally. There’s a lot going on #behindthebet – come and see for yourself.