Virtual Infrastructure Engineer - (Full or Part time)
With European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI) in Hinxton - GBMore jobs from European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI)
Posted on September 14, 2020
About this job
Location options: Visa sponsor, Paid relocation
Job type: Full-time
Experience level: Mid-Level
Role: DevOps, System Administrator
Industry: Bioinformatics, Biotechnology, Computer Software
Company size: 501–1k people
Company type: Public
kubernetes, linux, vmware, openstack
Located at the Welcome Genome Campus in the beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside, you will be immersed within one of the world’s largest concentrations of scientific and technical expertise in genomics. You will join a diverse, multidisciplinary team of over 850 forward thinking people, which currently represent over 70 nationalities.
Working in our growing Technical Services team we are looking for a highly motivated individual to take on a role as a Virtual infrastructure Engineer. EMBL-EBI offers a unique opportunity to acquire professional experience in an international scientific environment with access to cutting edge technologies.
This exciting role develops and supports our virtual infrastructure based on VMware. In your role you will contribute to and learn OpenStack & Kubernetes skills. We are passionate about technology and making it work effectively for complex workloads. We are looking for an applicant who shares this vision and is prepared to actively collaborate with team members to innovate and support cutting edge virtualized computing environments at EMBL-EBI.
The role is diverse and no two days are the same; from configuring new VMware hosts to troubleshooting performance issues and contributing to the architecture of EMBL-EBI’s 4000 VMs VMware estate and while you are at it also learning and developing skills in OpenStack and Kubernetes. We consider personal development and continuous learning an important aspect of the role, and with this ethos the team keeps abreast of the latest technologies.
This position is full time; however part time applications are welcomed.
You will have an extensive background in VMWare operations and development. You will be able to support IT to an advanced level and be accustomed to working within a diverse and changing environment. Alignment with ITIL and an approach of continually improving will help you greatly in this role
Ideally you will have either a degree in I.T., Computer Science or equivalent work experience and will possess strong VMware troubleshooting and problem-solving skills. You should also have experience of Linux administration and should be comfortable working collaboratively in an agile environment, with an automation oriented mindset.
The candidate will have excellent English and communication skills and be able to work well within a team. Being user focused is very important as the role will often include interacting with internal and external users by answering queries and developing documentation.
EMBL-EBI is a worldwide leader in bioinformatics. We encourage personal and professional development and are committed to ensuring our employees feel valued, supported and empowered to reach their potential at work. Surrounded by beautiful South Cambridgeshire countryside, our state-of-the-art Campus provides employees with a relaxed atmosphere where the pursuit of scientific discovery and meaningful work, underpin every role.
In addition, our employees have access to a wide range of benefits including:
- 30 days annual leave per year plus 8 bank holidays
- Flexible work arrangements
- Unique pension scheme including 17% employer contribution
- Annual salary review
- Private medical insurance for you and your immediate family (including all prescriptions and generous dental & optical cover)
- Death benefit, long-term care, accident at work and unemployment insurances Relocation package including installation grant (if required)
- On-site library and subsidised on-site gym and cafeteria
- Casual dress code and choose your own tech
- Free shuttle bus to and from Campus
- Extensive sports and social club activities (run on campus and remotely)
- Family benefits: Onsite nursery, child sick leave, generous parental leave, holiday clubs on campus and monthly family and child allowances
- Benefits for non UK residents: Visa exemption, education grant for private schooling, financial support to travel back to your home country every second year and a monthly non-resident allowance To apply please submit a covering letter and CV through our online system. Applications are welcome from all nationalities and this will continue after Brexit. For more information please see our website. Visa information will be discussed in more depth with applicants selected for interview.
3 year staff member contract renewable up to 9 years of service
At EMBL-EBI, we strongly believe that inclusive and diverse teams benefit from higher levels of innovation and creative thought. We encourage applications from women, LGBTQ and individuals from all nationalities. Visa exemptions will be offered to international candidates and details will be discussed during interview.
Applications will close on 26 October 2020 at 23:00 GMT