Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) - Product Engineering Systems
With Apple in Austin TX USMore jobs from Apple
Posted on December 14, 2020
About this job
Job type: Full-time
Role: DevOps, System Administrator
Industry: Consumer Electronics
Company size: 10k+ people
Company type: Public
sysadmin, linux, devops
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new insights!have a way of becoming phenomenal products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Every single day, people do amazing things at Apple. The Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) position requires a mix of strategic engineering and design along with hands-on, technical work. A successful candidate will have experience in being a Systems Administrator that has moved on to DevOps/Automation in their career. The SRE will configure, tune, and troubleshoot multi-tiered systems to achieve optimal application performance, stability and availability. The SRE will work closely with the systems engineers, network engineers, database administrators, developers, quality assurance, and information security team. For this position, strict application security and high availability requirements must be balanced to achieve optimal solutions.
The successful candidate will be highly self-motivated with a passion for excellence, quality and detail. The SRE will not only support operations, but also work closely with the development engineers within the team to aid in architectural design and assist with the implementation of complex features. Responsibilities of the SRE include the following: - Passion for quality and automation, an ability to understand complex systems and a desire to constantly make things better. - Determine efficient configurations for application software, application servers, database connections and indexes, HSM drivers, etc. - You will be developing and maintaining scripts used for environment monitoring and task automation (Perl, Shell, Python, Ruby, etc.) - Deploy, support and monitor new platforms and application stacks - Set priorities and work efficiently in a fast-paced environment - Measure and optimize system performance - Plan and manage capacity of the systems - Explore and evaluate new technologies and solutions to push the capabilities forward, getting ahead of customers’ needs, innovate and continually improve - Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively across multiple business and technical teams - Demonstrate ability to deliver results on time with high quality We promote innovation and new technology to further improve our creative output! We're looking for a talented and passionate person to join this amazing team, if you feel this is you, we'd love to hear from you!
Skills & requirements
- 5+ years of managing services in a large scale *nix environment
- Good understanding of Java and ability to analyze issues and solve complex problems across large ecosystems
- Practical knowledge of shell scripting and at least one scripting language (I.e. Perl, Python, Ruby)
- Experience with DevOps tools, processes, and culture. Experience with Puppet, Chef or Ansible is a plus
- A systematic, test-and-measure approach to continually improving service operations
- Understanding of standard networking protocols and components such as: HTTP, DNS, TCP/IP, ICMP and Load Balancing.
- Experience with configuration management tools
- Experience in Databases & SQL
- Strong hands-on knowledge in Unix/Linux environment
- Track record of practical problem solving, excellent communication, and documentation skills
- Experience with monitoring tools such as Nagios, Splunk highly preferred.
- Understanding of cryptography is a plus
BS in engineering, computer science or other technical disciplines plus 5 years of related experience
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.
- Apple participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations as required by law.
- Apple's committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities.