Site Reliability Engineer, Data & AI Services (NSC) JoinOCI
With Oracle Corporation in Reading - GBMore jobs from Oracle Corporation
Posted on March 19, 2021
About this job
Job type: Full-time
Role: Database Administrator, System Administrator
Industry: Cloud Computing, Cloud Services, Software Development / Engineering
Company size: 10k+ people
Company type: Public
oracle, cloud, web-services
Location: remote working.
The Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) team can provide you the opportunity to operate a suite of massive scale, integrated cloud services in a broadly distributed, multi-tenant cloud environment. OCI is committed to providing the best in cloud product, that challenges some of the largest public cloud providers , and that meet the needs of our customers who are tackling some of the world’s biggest challenges.
We offer unique opportunities for smart, hands-on engineers with the expertise and passion to solve difficult problems in distributed highly available services and virtualized infrastructure. At every level, our engineers have a significant technical and business impactdesigning and building innovative new systems to power our customer’s business critical applications.
We currently have a number of roles available for the OCI Data & AI services. We are addressing exciting challenges at the intersection of data and AI and cutting-edge infrastructure. We are assembling a team of energetic, customer-focused site reliability engineers to build a world-first and best in class customer experience blending SRE, DevOps , incident commander, and NOC engineer disciplines. You’ll be part of a team that learns deeply how our cloud platform works so you can be the bridge between Engineering and Operations. This role is integral to the success of our customer relationships and is critical to the success of the platform.This role will support Oracle’s UK Government customers.
Only British citizens can be considered for this vacancy.
- Contribute to Design Decisions, and OCI optimization and monitoring
- Deploy code and execute other changes within the region, with a strong focus on automation – including machine learning
- Operate and perform maintenance for services running within the region
- Troubleshoot operational issues on behalf of service teams
- Be the on-call point of escalation for incidents and other issues arising within the region
- Ensure timely resolution and documentation of incidents through bridges
- Ensure thorough documentation of incidents through company‑standard reporting methods
- Monitor the region for faults, alarms, and other errors
- Inform internal teams as required through processes and procedures
- AbilitytomaintainUK Government Security Check level clearance
- Bachelor’sdegree,inComputerScience,MISoranothertechnicalfield,orequivalentwork experience
- Expert withvarious Linux operating systems
- Proven experience with CI/CD and various tooling around this (K8s, Jenkins, GoCD, CircleCI etc.)
- Passionate about driving automation, ensuring everything we do is repeatable, reliable and performant
- Experiencewithorchestration/automationtools(Ansible,Terraform,Packer, Chef,etc.)
- Deep knowledge ofcontainertechnologies(Docker,Kubernetes, Docker Swarm etc.)
- Proven experience with version control services (Git, SVN etc.), and with this a solid understanding of branching strategies in line with CI/CD, as well as experience with code review
- Experiencemaking changes within changemanagementprocedures, with a goal to automate where possible, and therefore reducing the burden of Change Management
- Experienceparticipatinginorrunningincidentbridges and Post Incident Reviews
- Experiencetroubleshootingcomplex systems , softwareand/ornetworkingissues
- Strongunderstanding,and proven experience working with cloudconceptsandplatforms, including the support of Cloud Services (AWS, GCE, Azure, OpenStack, vSphere etc.)
- Experienceincloudtechnicalsupport,operations,NOCorsimilarispreferred Experience
- Comprehensive scripting ability using at least two of Python, Golang, HCL, bash, YAML, XML etc.
- Experienced in developing and supporting API’s and using common API libraries.
- Deep security expertise at a systems, networks and applications level, including creating certificates. Experience with penetration testing is advantageous
- Experience with building multiple environments, from functional, integration and production environments.
- A deep understanding of the various testing requirements in order to transition code from development to production is advantageous
- Experience with Big data technologies is advantageous
- Proven experience working with SQL and NoSQL services (Oracle, MySQL, MariaDB, HBase, MongoDB, Redis etc.)
- Experience with caching within production environments is advantageous
- Ability to work well within a team (excellent collaboration and communication skills), as well as being able to work independently.
At Oracle, we don’t just value differences—we celebrate them. We’re committed to creating a workplace where all kinds of people work together. We believe innovation starts with diversity and inclusion.
Solve complex problems related to infrastructure cloud services and build automation to prevent problem recurrence. Design, write, and deploy software to improve the availability, scalability, and efficiency of Oracle products and services. Design and develop designs, architectures, standards, and methods for large-scale distributed systems. Facilitate service capacity planning and demand forecasting, software performance analysis, and system tuning.
Work with Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) team on the shared full stack ownership of a collection of services and/or technology areas. Understand the end-to-end configuration, technical dependencies, and overall behavioral characteristics of production services. Responsible for the design and delivery of the mission critical stack, with focus on security, resiliency, scale, and performance. Authority for end-to-end performance and operability. Partner with development teams in defining and implementing improvements in service architecture. Articulate technical characteristics of services and technology areas and guide Development Teams to engineer and add premier capabilities to the Oracle Cloud service portfolio. Understand and communicate the scale, capacity, security, performance attributes, and requirements of the service and technology stack. Demonstrate clear understanding of automation and orchestration principles. Act as ultimate escalation point for complex or critical issues that have not yet been documented as Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs). Utilize a deep understanding of service topology and their dependencies required to troubleshoot issues and define mitigations. Understand and explain the affect of product architecture decisions on distributed systems. Professional curiosity and a desire to a develop deep understanding of services and technologies.
A BS or MS in Computer Science, or equivalent. Identifies solutions to knowledge of server hardware and software configuration, networking, standard internet services, scripting languages, cloud computing patterns, technology security and compliance. Experience running large scale customer facing web services. Identifies solutions to understanding of load balancing technologies and experience with development in programming languages, databases and big data stores, and container technologies. Work involves defining and documenting technical architecture of complex and highly scalable products. A minimum of 5+ years experience of running large scale customer facing web services.
As part of Oracle's employment process candidates will be required to successfully complete a pre-employment screening process. This will involve identity and employment verification, professional references, education verification and professional qualifications and memberships (if applicable).