Senior Infrastructure Engineer - UNIX
With HSBC Canada in Toronto - CAMore jobs from HSBC Canada
Posted on March 31, 2021
About this job
Job type: Full-time
Experience level: Mid-Level, Senior
Role: DevOps, System Administrator
Industry: Banking, Financial Services, Information Technology
Company size: 10k+ people
Company type: Public
unix, automation, ansible, redhat
- Provide UNIX expertise across a global virtual team aimed at solution design, build, configuration and support as per application requirements and to follow the HSBC naming/design standards
- Work with application teams to understand the constraints, assumptions, issues and imperatives relating to UNIX and the application architecture and help to address these over time
- Working with Engineering teams - research and communicate emerging system integration trends in order to mentor the team on best practice, to gain input buy-in and influence decision making.
- Participate in project and wider department forums in order to provide assurance on architectural principle conformance
- Be pro-actively vigilant in spotting potential operational risks and mitigate to avoid or minimize downtime of services
- Understand business, environments and shared services to prioritize tasks and incidents
As a member of a global infrastructure team, you will be responsible for all UNIX aspects of our HSBC estate including the design, build, ongoing enhancements (e.g. automation) and support. As an engineer within the Infrastructure group and part of a DevOps team you will work closely with the application and infrastructure SME’s to ensure that critical services function to the required standards. Maintain and improve SLA’s and ensure compliance to HSBC policies at all times. Actively participate to achieve organization objectives for efficiencies, innovations, and quality delivery.
Perform pro-active analysis on day-to-day work, identify areas for automation, report and follow up on process or technical gaps, reduce repeat or false incidents, and standardise tasks/processes. Work with our colleagues across the wider IT team to gain best practice solutions/automation, reduce risk and further the DevOps strategy.
Support is required 24 hrs x 7 days in week x 365 days from office or on-call depending on business needs (usually 1 week in 4 on-call) . Required to work on weekends (usually 1 in 4) often at short notice. Resource will get compensatory time- off for as per HR guidelines
Customer Service and Problem Resolution
- Actively participate in Crisis calls taking the lead from a UNIX perspective
- Participate in identifying problem situations and resolve to give maximum customer satisfaction
Knowledge & experience / Qualifications:
- Must have substantial experience (5 -10 years minimum) of UNIX administration including knowledge of the RedHat 6.x/RH7.x/RH 8.x platform (ideally on HP hardware & IBM Hardware)
- Automation is an important work stream for the group and could amount up to 30% of the overall work scope. There is a lot of focus on reducing manual effort by introducing automation via Scripts, Tools & Processes. The potential candidate should be able to demonstrate some level of knowledge and/or experience on automation work done in the past.
- Good experience with Operating System Performance tuning and monitoring
- Expert level knowledge of Veritas Volume Manager & Veritas Cluster Server (VCS)
- Good practical knowledge of Networks and network technologies
- Good understanding of the Linux kernel
- Provide Architecture design and support for development projects
- Experience working with Database teams supporting Oracle databases
- Provide Capacity and Performance reviews
- Strong knowledge of host based SAN migrations
- Good practical knowledge of Storage Area Networks(SAN) & Network Attached Storage(NAS) technologies
- Good knowledge of RAID Levels such as RAID-0, RAID-1, RAID-1+0, RAID-5.
- Excellent scripting skills. Ability to develop complex shell scripts as per requirements
- Ability to install/configure 3rd party products based on using provided install guides
- Experience of patching UNIX estate
- Proven experience in the build and configuration of new servers (virtual and physical)
- Ability to support Disaster Recovery tests
- Effective in dealing with Crisis calls/Critical issues for business critical services
- Proven experience in technically guiding teams in productivity driven environment.
- Proven experience in managing and building relationship with developers. Experience of working as an engineer on development projects with responsibility for all UNIX aspects
- Experience of working in production support as a UNIX SME
- Working across cultures with people located across the globe
- University Degree level education preferred but not essential
- Experience of DevOps deployment and monitoring tooling such as Ansible, Jenkins, Grafana etc
- Experience as a hardware engineer responsible for the build of new servers and diagnosis of hardware faults
- Red Hat 6,7,8 knowledge
- Possess industry standard certifications for UNIX/Cluster Technologies.
- Well versed with ITIL concepts and more specific understanding of Service operations activities.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Proactive in approach, innovates to improve efficiency and automation
- Strong team working skills including working with remote teams
- Must be flexible in a dynamic and demanding business environment (high rate of change in business).
- Ability to work with development teams, both on a horizontal basis (front office to front office) as well as on a vertical basis (front to back office).
- Ability to manage relationships with various stakeholders.
- Ability to work on complex parallel projects.
- Demonstrate role model behaviours of “can do” attitude, positive motivation.
- Excellent communication skills – both written and verbally
- Efficient time management
- Experience of contributing to the continuous improvement of the end to end design/build/support process
- Experience of working closely with other teams and liaising with developers to provide input to the IT requirements
- Understand those business parameters which could influence performance; e.g. data sizes, network bandwidth, scalability, etc.