Site Reliability Engineering Developer - Remote Canada
With Encircle Inc. in CAMore jobs from Encircle Inc.
Posted on April 23, 2021
About this job
Compensation: C$75k - 105k
Location options: Remote
Job type: Full-time
Experience level: Mid-Level
Role: System Administrator
cloud, python, web-services, linux, saas, sysadmin
We’re Encircle, nice to meet you! We’re leading the $2 trillion dollar property and casualty insurance industry out of the dark ages of pen-and-paper processes, into the digital age of transparency and empowerment. Our easy-to-use mobile and web software enables thousands of restoration contractors and insurance professionals to create efficiency, optimize resources, and maximize productivity. We’ve got some huge goals and are looking to add new members to our all-star team to help get us there!
We're big on training and helping members of our team broaden their skillset to meet new challenges.
As a member of the development organization, you will play a critical role in maintaining and enhancing our infrastructure; working closely with our support team to manage customer escalations; and performing complex and challenging upgrade and migration operations. You will understand in detail the cloud services that we use and how they are managed; factors that influence the reliability of our infrastructure; and the configuration and layout of our services. You will help us anticipate load issues, improve our scalability, and innovate methods to improve the visibility of our business analytics and alerts. You will be entrusted with customer data and its integrity and privacy.
This is primarily an internal-facing role at a leading software provider to the insurance restoration industry. You will be constantly drawing on both your technical and problem-solving skills. You will be responsible for working with many different employees, including developers, other members of the development operations team, the VP development and the CTO.
Throughout the course of your job, you will be responsible for a diverse and mission-critical range of tasks, such as:
- Perform deep-dive investigations into the root cause of complex issues potentially involving the interaction of low-level operating system components, cloud services, and networking
- Develop end-to-end features and fixes that promote system stability
- Stay in contact with the support team to be apprised of current issues
- Advise development leadership to help triage and prioritize new issues
- Help to document and build corporate working knowledge on our operating procedures
- Stay in contact with the development team to maintain a mutual understanding of the impact of known and new performance issues, new changes, and how and where they will take effect
- Research, plan and develop ways to make our analytics dashboards and error monitoring more meaningful and improve their signal-to-noise ratio
- Research, plan and develop ways to ensure that our alerts are being sent on meaningful events
- Develop ways to reduce manual work associated with internal administrative procedures
- Perform both planned and unplanned deployments to our staging and production environments
- Be a member of the on-call rotation to resolve critical multiple-customer-affecting issues
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
- A comfort level with working on multiple projects at once.
- Knowledge of fundamental back-end technologies - Linux, SQL and Python - is needed
- Familiarity with DevOps/SRE tools and concepts - Ansible, Azure and Docker/Kubernetes experience is beneficial.
- Familiarity with parts of our application stack (Typescript, Swift, Kotlin) or similar technologies is beneficial.
This role reports to our VP Development.
Encircle is proud of our bias-reducing interview process, which has three steps:
- An introductory call with the hiring manager (VP Development)
- A small take-home project to evaluate your programming
- A videoconference interview with a mix of directed and open-ended technology questions
Most of the emphasis is placed on your performance in the take-home and interviews rather than on past experience, curriculum vitae or academics.
Encircle invests a lot of effort into designing salary ranges that are competitive for the industry, the Kitchener-Waterloo area and your role. This will be discussed in the introductory call with your hiring manager. Compensation also includes an Employee Stock Option Plan (ESOP), a competitive health benefits package, and access to the Employee Assistance Program (EAP) counselling service.
To be eligible to work for Encircle, you must be able to legally work in Canada. We support working from home or from the Kitchener office.
Encircle is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, upon request, accommodation will be provided by Encircle throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities.